- USA Only
- 7 applicants (100%)
In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source in the industry and our all- star team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. The STAT brand includes a website (www.statnews.com), mobile app, numerous newsletters, live and virtual events, and other products. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT, the leading health and science site, is looking for a Product Designer to join our growing design team. This position will report to the Director of Product Design & Visual Strategy and will work closely with our product and engineering teams to transform business initiatives into intuitive, cutting- edge, and brand-compliant experiences across our various products and platforms.
In this role, this individual is comfortable owning the design process and independently crafting design solutions while receiving direction and feedback from the design director and assigned product manager. This individual will craft designs for new product features and functionality all the while staying compliant with STAT’s design system and brand guidelines. In addition to product tasks, this person will also assist with ongoing marketing and promotional materials. This person will have a collaborative spirit and be able to work within tight timelines on multiple projects simultaneously.
The ideal candidate is both a pixel perfectionist and a strategic thinker. They can craft beautiful experiences, but take a user-centric approach with business goals always front of mind. They are passionate about things like visual hierarchy, white space, and content-first design. They understand the importance of design systems and brand consistency, and they recognize the impact a design can have on business goals.
- Collaborate with product managers to understand project goals and objectives.
- Determine a project’s impact to the product and brand as a whole. Identify any information or data that’s needed to ensure the project’s success. Then outline an appropriate design process and timeline with the assigned product manager.
- Translate project objectives into best-in-class digital experiences, drawing insights from competitor research, best practices, and available data.
- Receive feedback from product manager and design director. Iterate on designs, considering all potential solutions. Consult engineers as needed.
- Present final designs to key stakeholders and be able to communicate design rationale.
- Review designs in code and provide design and UX QA to engineers.
- Adhere to STAT’s design system to ensure consistency across products.
- 4+ years of design experience for web and/or mobile app
- Exceptional UX design skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Proficiency in design tools like Adobe Creative Cloud, Figma, or similar
- A thorough understanding of UX best practices and trends in interaction design
- A basic understanding of CSS/HTML
- Experience designing with an established design system
- Ability to receive and incorporate constructive feedback
- Ability to stay organized and meet deadlines on multiple projects at once
- Self-directed and capable of working in a fast-paced environment
- Strong communication skills
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
Bonus points for
- Illustration and/or logo design experience
- Strong knowledge of WordPress
- Experience with scrum agile web development processes
- Interest in journalism and life science and health news
Location & Compensation
This position can be remote or on site at our Boston headquarters.
The minimum salary is $80,000 and we offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism.
BGMP will require that all employees, including temporary employees, co-ops, and interns, regardless of work location, provide the company Human Resources team with proof of vaccination status through the secure system that will be provided for these purposes. For those who are not vaccinated for company- approved and verified medical and/or religious reasons, that same system will also allow you to upload required weekly COVID test results. Failure to comply with or enforce any part of this policy, or misrepresentation of compliance with this policy, may result in discipline, up to and including termination of employment.
Boston Globe Media Partners LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.
How to Apply
STAT offers a competitive total compensation package and a generous array of benefits and employee perks. Candidates can apply on the Boston Globe Media Careers Page with a resume, cover letter, and portfolio.