Product Designer - Growth
Product Designer – Growth
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with 8am-4pm Eastern Time (EST) for at least 4 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
We are looking for a self-motivated Product Designer for our Growth team. As a Product Designer, you will be a crucial member of our exceptional high agency all-remote team to achieve our company wide mission of helping Sourcegraph become the standard tool for searching and understanding public code. You will work collaboratively with product and engineering to create a highly functional and beautiful experience that delights a technical audience.
Developers love our product and rely on it daily to ship and deploy better software. Our passionate users provide a constant stream of thoughtful feedback and love engaging with us to help them and their teams solve their toughest problems.
Within one month, you will
- Learn about our business, product, vision and team and gain an understanding about how your role fits into Sourcegraph’s broader organization.
- Get to know the processes, tools, and systems the design team uses – with a specific focus on growth and integrations
- Learn and understand our development process for feature releases, inter-team communication, and processes
Within three months, you will
- Have credible conversations with engineers & product managers about design tradeoffs.
- Active involvement in strategic (the why), not just tactical (the how) realities of the design decisions you make.
- Work closely with other designers to establish good practices and processes around our design system and visual design.
- Ship several updates to our sign-up, admin, and user onboarding experiences that help new users get to a wow moment sooner.
Within six months, you will
- Advocate for consistent use of a product design system in collaboration with engineering & product leads.
- Work closely with marketing & brand to ensure a cohesive experience between our digital assets and product.
- Analyze the results of your work through product analytics and qualitative user testing to generate hypothesis on how to improve sign-up conversions, user onboarding and retention.
- Report on outcomes discussing how goals and hypotheses were met, and what learnings to use in the next iteration.
Within one year, you will
- Be able to advocate/defend the design view to others in the organization even if it comes to conflict/disagreement with others with professionalism, maturity, and a balanced, holistic view of any competing viewpoints
- Proactively identify and unblock knowledge sharing and communication challenges to unlock a scalable design organization
- Educate, mentor and train team members across the entire company on design methodology and philosophy
You are an experienced product designer who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward the Growth team’s ambitious and challenging objectives to bring the value of Sourcegraph to all developers, everywhere they work with code, and to bring the value of other developer tools into Sourcegraph. You have the leadership skills to facilitate an inclusive design process end-to- end. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code.
- You have the ability to adapt your tools and processes for the velocity of a fast-paced startup where projects have varying requirement levels.
- You demonstrate strong UI and visual design skills and a keen eye for aesthetics in the context of complex products.
- You have a knack for giving and receiving feedback, communicating complex concepts, and explaining the reasoning behind your designs.
- May have conversion optimization and/or experience with designing for marketing operations (not branding)
- You may have worked in marketing consulting agency-ish (more website/landing page type of work)
- You have a history of delivering impactful solutions that solve customer problems and move business metrics
- You have expertise in designing complex web applications as demonstrated in a strong portfolio showcasing your tried and tested process for tackling design problems, as well as high quality interaction and visual design.
- You have experience helping users understand and get value from a new application
- You have experience building end-to-end experiences in popular design tools (we use Figma).
- You have experience with usability testing, customer journey mapping, developing personas, wireframing and prototyping, sketching, and other UX design methods.
- You have used analytics tools to ensure your designs are as effective as possible
- You have a existing understanding of developers, their needs, and motivations
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-4pm ET for at least 4 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
Nice to haves:
- You have experience designing developer tools.
- You have a good technical understanding of software and can bridge the gap between design and code.
- You have experience or familiarity with CICD, Automation, DevOps, Cloud, Deployment
- You have experience working in cross-functional teams on multiple projects in tandem.
- You have experience designing for B2B or B2D (developer) applications.
- You have experience working with distributed or remote teams.
Interview process [5.5 hours total interview]
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more aboutthe types of interviewsin our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
- Intro Conversation Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better
- [30 min] Recruiter Screen
- [30 min] Hiring Manager Screen
- Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team
- [60 min] Resume Deep Dive
- [60 min] Portfolio Review
- [90 min] Design Working Session
- Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically
- [30 min] Values
- [30 min] Leadership
And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.