- USA Only
- 10 applicants (28%)
XCell was born out of a passion for using the power of digital media to transform organizations in ways that build up our communities. For us, Human- Centered Design isn’t just a trend or tool; it’s a way of looking at the world. Our impact on people are front and center at all times.
We work in small, fast-paced agile teams that use Design Thinking to help Government, Non-Profit and Educational organizations solve complex processes or systems.
Our vision is to impact the world through interactive media. We do this by creating experiences that inspire. We are deeply integrated with the heartbeat of our local communities. By impacting the life of one individual (end-user), we are laying the foundation to inspire the world.
The Position: Product Designer
XCell is looking for a product designer to join our team. As a member of this team you will be part of a cross-functional team of Human Centered Design experts. This team is focused on redesigning a front facing website for a large government organization with multiple departments that have competing priorities. The team will focus on establishing a HCD approach that meets the needs of a large diverse user group. To include designing a website that can be translated into multiple languages.
You will be responsible for contributing to the design and alignment of the end-to-end user journeys across multiple groups and divisions within this government client. You will use various design thinking and design thinking principles to develop concepts, prototypes, and solutions based on user research and data to address the direct needs of the organization. Not only will you have the opportunity to teach and facilitate the development of a design thinking culture, you will be hands-on throughout the strategy, research, development and implementation process. As your team will set direction and embed best practices to ultimately achieve greater outcomes and experiences for our client and their users.
What it looks like:
We are looking for passionate Product Designers to join our small, yet growing team. We value people. That means we’re always thinking about the needs of our teams, customers, their users, our communities, and our world at large. You will bring your product design skills and an ability to plan and organize resources to directly improve the human experience and usability performance at all touch points.
Note: Link to your Portfolio required this is for a visual product designer position. If your portfolio is password protected please include your password to be considered.
- Independently executes and implements solutions with minimal direction from senior Designers or team leaders.
- Coaches and mentors others to develop their professional skills and improve the quality of their work.
- Establish what product design looks like at XCell and foster positive collaboration across our organization.
- Provide conceptual feedback to team members
- Designs wire frames, low and high fidelity mockups, and interactive prototypes of easy-to-navigate user interfaces (UIs).
- Provide design feedback to design team
- Lead the product lifecycle of client projects
- Facilitate & lead multiple design thinking workshops, with subject matter experts.
- Develop the systems & tools needed to assist users with the understanding and alignment of complex systems.
- Articulate how services connect consumers and customers to business objectives.
- Develop strong stakeholder relationships.
- Navigate complex organizational relationships to resolve questions, disagreements, and blockers.
- Expert in identifying user and business needs and developing solutions to meet those needs through strong influencing and communication skills.
- Ability to coach and mentor others on the principles and best practices of service design & Human Centered Design.
- Communicate product vision, and delivery strategy to stakeholders.
- Serve as a key leader in the product leadership team.
- Manages and maintains the utilization and implementation of robust design systems throughout a project’s life cycle.
- Ideate, prototype, test, repeat!
- Lead various qualitative and quantitative user research studies including leading workshops, small group sessions.
- Document research findings and generate various reports such as decision docs.
- Designs and conducts research activities with customers and team members to drive a deep understanding of the people that use the products and services.
- Assesses and improves the usability of products through research, rapid prototyping, and usability testing.
- Develops and applies frameworks for implementing user experience, such as style guides, component libraries, and design systems.
- Reviews design artifacts and provides feedback to others to ensure that the deliverables meet high quality standards.
What we are looking for:
- Strong experience with Figma
- Ability to design and develop Design Systems
- Experience designing for diverse communities and user groups
- Preferred team member live in Maryland (or the DMV area), as our client is based in Maryland. But not required.
- Strong visual skills, experience delivering multiple digital products from start to finish
- Team players that wears empathy on your sleeve and champions the user's direct needs.
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to engage directly with stakeholders
- Ability to align multiple stakeholders on a singular product vision
- Ability to identify and communicate constraints and can work within them.
- Experience establishing, iterating, and documenting research findings.
- Strong aptitude to facilitate and lead design workshops or community of practice sessions
- Strong communication skills with the ability to break down complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences.
- Experience working in an agile team
- Strong understanding for designing accessible (a11y, WCAG, 508 Compliance) digital products
- Understanding of design thinking principles,strong human-centered design experience, visual design, interaction design, content design, user research, and user-centered design strategies.
- 5 - 7+ years of experience designing digital (web, mobile, or other digital) products
- Experience of three basic service movements: before, during, and after.
- Ability to absorb large amounts of potentially conflicting information and use it to produce simple designs.
- Strong foundation in visual design. You obsess over the details but you know when to be agile and push for MVP (ship it).
- Ability to authoritatively communicate and facilitate discussion around usability, accessibility and interaction design.
- Experience with visual and user interface design, including typography, layout, color theory and common interaction patterns.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a group, actively network with others and provide varying feedback to the team at the appropriate time to ensure that decisions stick.
- Ability to select the appropriate prototyping method for the task at hand.
- Ability to identify and communicate constraints and can work within them.
- Experience establishing, iterating, and documenting design patterns to solve problems.
- Ability to effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale and goals both verbally and visually.
- Experience using a variety of design and prototyping tools.
- Experience implementing and coaching others on design best practices and standards.
- Ability to communicate (complex) interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Strong communication, presentation, and analytical skills.
We are a small yet growing company that is starting to make some noise. Though we are in the room with many of the large tech companies, (and many of them are our friends) we aren't big enough to compete with the big boys and offer all the insane benefits yet but we are on our way. We believe in people and the unique value each team member brings to our company culture. Which is why we are looking for like minded individuals who want to help us transform the world. At XCell not only will you be known, you will have a direct impact on the growth and impact of our company.
XCell offers competitive pay and benefits and invest into our employees continued growth.
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Flex Schedule
- Training & Budget
As a federal contractor, we are required to collect proof of COVID vaccination at start date. Learn more.