We're looking for a talented product designer who is excited about our vision and mission of democratizing financial wellness. We're especially excited about generalist designers with a strong focus on their craft, UX research, and skills in fast iteration and prototyping. You will work closely with Northstar's Head of Design.
As we're still a small company, there are no official titles yet. We’re all just “Designers”. There are however expectations at different levels of seniority in your career that we recognize with appropriate pay scales and responsibilities.
At Northstar, we're making it easy for everyone to access affordable, personalized financial advice. We believe that financial wellness starts with a single paycheck. That's why we work with leading companies to provide 1-on-1 financial advisors and personal finance tools as an employee benefit. Northstar’s financial wellness program helps employees make the most of their total compensation, and helps companies support their teams at scale through onboarding, open enrollment, equity events, and more. We've raised more than $15M from investors including M13, Foundation Capital, Workday Ventures, and Parade Ventures. Our employer customers include Zoom, Snap, NerdWallet, Superhuman, Virgin Orbit, and more.
Product Designer Overview
We're looking for a talented product designer who is excited about our vision and mission of democratizing financial wellness. We're especially excited about designers with a strong focus on their craft, UX research, and skills in fast iteration and prototyping. This is an IC role, not management, at least initially.
What you'll do
- Contribute to establishing Northstar’s design process and how we work with other departments
- Work cross-functionally between design, product, engineering and marketing teams to find elegant but practical solutions
- Contribute to overall strategy and decision-making about product direction
- Help deliver and refine clear storytelling around product needs and opportunities
- Create, collaborate, and iterate on flows, prototypes, and high-fidelity visuals
- Design and ship high quality product improvements and new features
- Work on and contribute to our design system, setting us up to scale our team and product
- Work on features with ownership end-to-end, from research to implementation phases with our product and engineering teams
- Facilitate internal design reviews with other departments to gather feedback and iterate based on department needs and input
- Coordinate, perform, and synthesize customer research into actionable changes, to make sure we're always talking to customers and listening to their feedback
Who you are
- You have 5+ years of design experience with at least some of it spent at a start up!
- Have used any of the following: Figma, Adobe, Framer, Prototyping tools
- You love collaborating with teammates across functions to produce your best work
- You prefer the early high growth stages of a startup, before all systems have been established
- You are high velocity designer, with a bias towards action. You are always exploring different options, and getting feedback from customers and team. You are curious and experiment-driven, rather than tied to the first solution you come up with.
- You are highly organized (follow through, collecting feedback, and acting on it) and methodical. You are skilled at synthesizing inputs from founders, customers, and peers, and continuing to move the product forward and you know which topics are important to debate and focus on
- You are passionate about our mission and the opportunity to make a real difference in people's lives
- You have a founder mentality. You have a bias towards action, especially when faced with open-ended problems. You are highly autonomous, but thrive with collaboration with a team.
- You are a life-long learner. You are humble, excited about feedback, and constantly looking to improve.
- We're mission-driven. We founded Northstar on the belief that every person deserves personalized, and affordable financial management, personalized and affordable financial management, without the fear of being sold to.
- We have a design-led company, with our founder having been a designer themselves. No need to sell the value of design or process here.
- We've hit an inflection point with product-market fit. We have passionate, paying customers, and are scaling quickly.
- We have a cross-functional team is uniquely suited to solve this problem, everyone contributes to solving a problem in their unique ways
- We offer a competitive salary, equity, 401k, your own Northstar advisor, and benefits like 12 weeks paid parental leave to support your whole life
- We have unlimited vacation and time off policy (with a 2-week yearly minimum)
- We provide a budget to set up or improve your home office
- We are 100% fully remote