- 45 applicants (37%)
Who We Are
Ness is an early-stage, remote-first startup at the unique intersection of fintech and healthcare. We’re on a mission to build a world where everyone can afford to get and stay healthy.
We’re fresh off a $15.5M seed round and funded by some of the most iconic operators and entrepreneurs in the space (e.g. Sweetgreen, Headspace, One Medical, Thrive Market).
Started by the former CEO & Founder of Greatist (acquired by Healthline in 2019), we're building an AmEx-like credit card for health. We’ve got enormous ambitions to flip healthcare on its head through an alternative to health insurance that rewards consumers for the right behaviors and brings down the cost of healthcare.
What Impact You Can Make
As a product designer on our Design team, you’ll be crafting a revolutionary health and finance experience that has the potential to change healthcare forever.
In this role, you’ll drive discovery, research, ideation, and design of the product, as well as partner with engineering and product management to ship new experiences.
This role sits within the Design team, under the Experience pillar.
You May Be The Ideal Candidate If You
If you don’t meet 100% of the below qualifications,* _you should still seriously consider applying._* We take a holistic approach to evaluating talent for our team.
- Have 4-5 years of experience in product design, with work that's made its way into consumer-facing software (ideally, iOS).
- Have a design portfolio that showcases your eye for good visual design and attention to detail.
- Are a systems-thinker and can see beyond the pixels.
- Are highly collaborative in a remote-first environment and enjoy sharing work early and often.
- Are able to manage your work autonomously and comfortable with the pace that comes with an early-stage startup.
- Are a wizard in Figma (bonus points for motion design).
- Are a self-starter—there’s always something you want to do, learn, and grow in as a designer.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Design (e.g. interaction, graphic, visual communications, product), Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience.
Things You Might Do
- Design and shape the product experience into something truly magical.
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to identify new opportunities and envision creative solutions.
- Act as the champion for the user experience, clearly articulating design rationale internally and externally.
- Evolve our design process and standards such that it inspires and influences the work of others across the company.
- Support the team in constant experimentation through data and user feedback to improve the user experience and product.
- Empower engineers to get the fit and finish right.
Our Core Values
We aren't a family, we're an incredible team. At Ness, our core values are the source of our POWER.
✏️ Pencil It In
We move fast, try new things fearlessly, think differently, and learn from our mistakes.
🙏🏼 One Ness
We're all on the same team, have short memories, plus can "disagree and commit."
🥓 Work Crispy
We value clear, rigorous thought, give regular feedback, and we're always prepared.
🦕 Embrace Your Mythical Creature
Our differences make us special. Come as you are (but no trolls, please!)
👏🏽 Right Way To Win (Not The Easy Way)
We believe in doing well AND doing good.
How We Hire
First, we don't discriminate. We know from experience that a more diverse and inclusive team leads to bigger impact and success.
1. First Hello
You'll talk to our CXO & Co-Founder, Kenneth for 15-30 minutes. There's nothing to prepare in advance.
First, we want to figure out if you've got the right experience for this position and if working at Ness is a fit for you and us. We'll have reviewed your portfolio in detail, so this discussion will be mostly a "behavioral" interview focused on what you've done before. We want to build conviction that you'll succeed in this job the same way you've succeeded in the past.
Then, you'll have time to ask us anything! (Well, mostly anything.)
2. The Jam Sesh
After this, we'll schedule a design jam with Kenneth and potentially other Ness team members. Why? We believe collaboration is a key skill for designers in a remote-first company—and we want a chance to see you in action. We'll share more details about this when we get there!
3. Portfolio Review
Next, you’ll have a chance to share 2-3 of your past projects and go deep on them. Here, we’re trying to understand your approach to design projects and see your craft in detail. We also want to learn how you frame the problem, how you articulate your process and decisions, and what explorations you considered prior to arriving at the final solution.
4. Meet the Team
You'll meet other team members via a series of 30-60 minute 1:1’s including our CEO & Founder, Derek. Here, we want to explore if we're a good fit for each other. We also want to learn what brings out the best in you and what's next. We want to be confident Ness can offer the environment (culture, responsibility, org structure, etc.) that's led you to the most professional success so far.
You'll have time to ask questions, too!
Oh—and, with your help, we'll reach out to folks you've worked with in the past. We're usually pretty far along here, so this is mostly about learning from outside perspectives about how to manage and empower you best.
6. The Job Offer
Got this far? That means you're in. Expect a personal call from Kenneth or Derek and welcome to the team!
No recruiters or agencies, please. Thanks!