Principal UX/UI Designer
- USA Only
We’re a fast-growing mobile app company that is revolutionizing private communications. We’re on a mission to amplify privacy as a fundamental human right.
You’ll be joining a rapidly growing, highly curious, and extremely invested team that is laser focused on building and growing our privacy-first app to improve the lives of people everywhere.
The founding team is made up of engineers and entrepreneurs who have collectively started 7 companies employing over 500 people and having raised over $70MM in venture funding.
About the Role
You’ll be the first UX/UI hire at NotPublic, playing a critical role in shaping our design principles and the resulting products.
- You will lead interaction and visual design. You will architect and understand the user personas and journeys, help conduct user tests, and define and present solutions from your conclusions.
- You will lead brainstorming sessions, design wireframes, test features through rapid prototyping and work with engineering to define and support effective sprints and the resulting QA work.
- Our founders are technical. You will be working side-by-side with most of them on day 1!
This position is ideal for a creative self-starter with strong mobile design experience.
- Own the interaction and visual design for the NotPublic app, website and all marketing collateral
- Create and evolve design systems for the app and brand
- Identify target user groups and carry out interviews or other types of inquiry to help understand user needs with the app
- Define UX solutions through flow diagrams, storyboards and pattern flows tailored to the user's objectives
- Lead early-stage planning, prototyping, and prototype testing
- Collaborate with the global agile engineering team to ensure excellent implementation of customized user experiences for the app
- Provide guidance on the implementation of UX research techniques and testing activities to assess user behavior
- Maintain a competitive edge against competitor products and industry trends
- Perform tests on user interface elements such as CTAs, layouts, target links, landing pages and banners
- Understand product specifications and user psychology (Hook Model) and predict what might work for both
- Provide Brand development leadership and more importantly OWNERSHIP.
You have a love for all things beautifully designed and a passion for creating simple interfaces.
You want to leverage technology to amplify a good idea into something amazing that can benefit millions.
You are highly autonomous, detail-oriented, and comfortable working on global cross-functional teams in a fast-paced Agile environment.
You have your own point of view, but you take feedback and ideas from others, and listen to data from users and testing to create solutions.
You have a "rising tides" approach to success where the enjoyment and fullfillment comes from "doing it together".
Your Ideal Background
- Expertise in mobile app design and principles.
- Experience in human-centered design methods and techniques.
- Excellence in distilling complex ideas into simple concepts, defending the work and being the expert in the room.
- Experience with customer research and experimentation in user testing
- Understanding of business metrics and ability to translate company goals and objectives into mobile digital experiences
- Attention to detail and mastery of information design.
- Proficient knowledge and understanding of accessibility standards, Interaction and Visual Design trends and best practices.
- User interface challenges and solving for user experience deficits
- Collaborating and solving problems with others, keeping solutions as simple as possible
- Ambiguity and engaging with customer research and data to educate decisions
- Working both independently and in a team
- Learning new skills and keeping up to date with developments in technology
- A creative hobby that you are more than happy to share with us.
You are an expert
- Figma and comfortable with other design tools such as Principle, Sketch, Adobe
- XD, Abstract, Miro, Anima, Canva, and lottie.
- Prototyping, testing and iterating on new and existing designs
- Communication tools (Slack, Trello, Notion, etc)
- Communicating your ideas to developers and the product team
- In a design system methodology or methodologies.
Big Bonus Points If You Have...
- Experience working with startups
- Experience with Xcode (Specifically - UIKit, AVFoundation, coreHaptics using
- AHAP, various UI Pods such as Snapkit).
- Experience building Icon Style Guides
- Experience with Creative Writing.
Required Reading and activities on your first day:
- Hooked: How to build habit Forming prodiucts : Eyal Nir
- As a man thinketh : James Allen
- Think like a Monk : Jay Shetty
- Complete your team member board
What We Offer:
Ideally this position will be on premise in our historic Fort Point Boston office, with flexibility to work remotely as sprints allow. We are open to fully remote candidates as well as contract to hire.
- A highly competitive salary based upon experience.
- A bonus and options package.
- Generous PTO.
- Health, Dental, Life insurance.
- Gym membership re-imbursement.
- A full-service office environment.
- A pet friendly and pet encouraged workplace.
- The latest Apple Tools.
- Company Retreats, workshops and online tools designed for each member to pursue hobbies, interests and studies.
** We are literally weeks old! Some of the above might fall in the "promise" category while we get things properly set up - please be sure to ask about the status of any and all of these benefits when you chat with us.