Manager, Product Design
- USA Only
Title: Manager, Product Design
Location: New York or Remote
This role can be NYC based or fully remote if you are within the contiguous United States*
Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of about 200 distributed through North America and headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $87.5m in venture capital funding from top investors including Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Y Combinator, and more.
As the Product Design Manager, you’ll work on new products throughout our paid consumer journey. As the design leader for this cornerstone of our business, you will collaborate with leaders in Product, Engineering, Data Science, Curriculum, and Marketing to ensure a consistent and effective journey throughout Codecademy. You, and your team, serve as advocates for the user across all aspects of the journey.
This role will manage a team of three Product Designers staffed across cross- functional teams. In addition to building great products together, you will also work with your team to unlock their potential and develop their design craft further. You will be accountable for the design output across your team and have the opportunity to shape the specifics of design unique to our rapidly scaling Codecademy suite of products.
Your work will empower millions of people worldwide to learn how to code and create something. Together, we can redesign education and create the best online learning experience, leading to tangible skills that make access to real world employment opportunities a reality!
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Grow a team of designers doing exceptional work on a rapidly scaling product
- Advocate for our users in strategy, roadmap prioritization and how we scale the Codecademy product to new use cases
- Foster craft development for the designers you manage, enabling them to pursue the north star of their design career
- Collaborate with Design leadership to ensure a consistent journey and continuous improvement of standards across the Design team
- Drive requirements for our design system, Gamut, as a force multiplier on your team
- Pursue a north star of seamless collaboration between product, design and engineering
- Work closely with additional cross-functional teams such as Sales, Curriculum, and Marketing to ship bar-raising work at a rapid pace
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 3+ years experience managing a team of designers to deliver to consistently meet company goals
- Ability to recruit designers and foster the development of career and craft
- A human-centered design process that produces thoughtful and engaging product design work
- Excellent verbal communication skills and ability to soundly discuss design decisions
- Demonstrated history of shipping complex, solutions-oriented product design work
- Strong graphic design foundations mindful of typography, color usage, visual hierarchy, etc.
- Experience performing and analyzing UX research
- Proficiency with Figma and prototyping tools
- A passion to continually learn and help others in their educational pursuits
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
- Experience building a design team from the ground up
- You have taken products from 0-1
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms– race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status– and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.