Lead Product Designer
Who we are:
The goals of modern technology are not aligned with our goals as humans. We need technology to empower us to make life choices that benefit our human experience, not algorithmically addict us to our devices. The UpBeing Wellbeing application combines passive behavioural data streams like e-calendar, Spotify, wearables, and spending with short, research-grounded emotional check-ins to provide users unprecedented insight into the hidden relationships between their behaviours and feelings. As we grow our vision is to apply this same concept to communities and to society as a whole – measuring and imbuing emotion into the systems that make up our world.
UpBeing is also a way of thinking that is at the heart of our company. We believe every person is on their own personal journey towards flourishing. We want to move people up from their wellbeing baseline everyday and move their baseline up over time. We take this same approach as an employer, ensuring that the work we do together is meaningful and helps you grow as an individual. While we are a start-up today, our ambitions are huge. We are looking for team members that find meaning in and truly care about what we are building. That, like us, want to build a more empathetic future that will infuse more emotions into an increasingly digital world.
As UpBeing’s Lead Product Designer, you will be an integral part of the team and own the look and feel of the product end to end in collaboration with the CTO and the Lead Developer. As one of UpBeing’s first hires, you will have autonomy to move quickly and implement your ideas while working in lockstep with the founders and Lead Developer to build and iterate on our initial B2C Application. We have a strong support network of investors, advisors and mentors we’ve surrounded ourselves with that you will be able to tap into and learn from. As founders, we are aware of our gaps and we want this team member to challenge and teach us. This role may include equity. We want someone who we think of as an owner in the business, who is willing to take a risk alongside us.
What You'll Do:
- Rapidly develop product designs and prototypes that can be used to guide user research and product development.
- Analyse user research to inform design decisions.
- Augment and own the underlying design framework within the application leveraging leading design principles.
- Bring design best practices into the organization.
- Manage all areas of the UpBeing design practice end to end with the assistance of the CTO.
- Interact with and help manage contractors and future design hires.
- Internalize UpBeing and what we stand for and consider our users in every decision you make.
- Remain up-to-date on industry trends, market conditions, and consumer preferences relevant to your area of expertise.
- Identify opportunities for product or feature enhancements and help inform the product roadmap.
- Work closely with the founding team and users to understand and design features within our B2C application.
- Document the design practice at UpBeing and setup systems and processes to scale with the company.
- Do and learn new, awesome things all the time.
What You Need to be Successful:
- An awesome design portfolio or other demonstrated experience with an ability to demonstrate the rationale behind your design decisions.
- Strong technical design skills including familiarity using leading design tools like Figma.
- 4+ years of relevant employment experience with proven results.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills and a demonstrated ability to work within a team.
- Leadership experience (not necessarily as a manger) with an ability to negotiate and make imperfect decisions.
- Strong attention to detail, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to execute on specific tasks while keeping the bigger picture of what we are building towards in mind.
- Familiarity working in a low overhead, low red tape, fast moving environment
- Strong sense of humility, with a learning mindset and a drive to improve.
Nice to Have:
- Team management experience.
- Familiarity with designing an application from scratch.
- An understanding of the way founders think and work.
- Expressed interest or previous experience in Wellness Tech, Health Tech, Mental Health Tech or a similar field.
- Experience working with third-party contractors and partners.
- Relevant education, accreditations and certificates.
This position is open to remote applicants and will not require going into the office regularly (although an office is available in Toronto to work at, if desired). UpBeing is setup remote-first with it’s HQ in Toronto. It is preferred that applicants are authorized to work in Canada on a full-time basis now and in the future as this position does not offer sponsorship, however we are open to meeting with out-of-country candidates.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
UpBeing is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and belonging. We are happy to consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of race, colour, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, neurodiversity, protected veteran status, Aboriginal and Native status or any other legally-protected factors. UpBeing has a zero-tolerance policy for discrimination and prides itself on assessing talent needs based on an objective methodology.
If accessibility accommodations are required during the recruitment process, we will gladly make the necessary arrangements to ensure UpBeing is able to support all interested applicants.