Lead Product Designer
Materialize is the streaming SQL database company that makes it easy for any developer or analyst to understand streaming data, answer complex questions and build intelligent applications using standard technology. Whether it’s delivering personalized experiences, accurately identifying fraud, building predictive AI, or discovering new business opportunities, the ability to run complex queries on multiple streams of data and keep their answers up to date is critical to making better decisions about the changing world around us.
We are focused on bottom-up developer adoption, our core software is free to use and source available, our business model is a cloud product that handles management of Materialize and lets businesses focus on building value. We have a vibrant developer community on Slack and as much as possible we work in public on GitHub.
Who We Are:
The Materialize team includes engineers who were early employees of Cockroach Labs, Flink, Dropbox, and YouTube. Our work builds on top of Timely Dataflow and Differential Dataflow, both created by our co-founder Frank McSherry, a world-leading computer scientist with decades of award-winning research in all aspects of data.
Kleiner Perkins, Redpoint Ventures and Lightspeed Venture Partners. Additional investors include executives from Cockroach Labs, Datadog, and Rubrik.
About the role:
We’re looking for our first full-time, in-house designer to join our dynamic, collaborative, and remote-friendly Materialize team!
You will be working on our Cloud product, which encompasses every part of the Materialize platform, and have the unique, hands-on opportunity to make a huge impact. In addition to designing the end-to-end experience of the product, the lead designer will help test prototypes and features in beta with customers and develop a design system for the whole company.
You’re not required to have everything listed below; if this ad speaks to you at all, please apply! Above all, we are looking for a designer who would thrive in a start-up environment, where there are myriad opportunities to bring their experience, creativity and entrepreneurial spirit to define and own the user experience.
- Design user interfaces and flows that delight users and help them get things done
- Prototype design concepts
- Solicit customer feedback and run user tests with prototypes or real code
- Give and receive frequent feedback with engineers as the team implements new features
- Lead the design vision for Materialize
- Coordinate with stakeholders across the organization: marketing, sales, product, engineering, and leadership
- An effective and proactive communicator--verbal, written, and drawn
- Talented at creating prototypes for quickly proposing solutions as well as designing refined visuals
- Transparent in your process and brave enough to show in-progress work
- Comfortable with ambiguity and changing company needs
- Collaborative, kind, and respectful to your colleagues
- A portfolio of work that demonstrates deep problem solving, testing hypotheses, and delivering high-quality results
- Experience designing B2B enterprise products from concept to completion
- Curiosity about new ideas and desire to learn from missteps
- Proven ability to work across teams and functions to derive the input needed to make design decisions
- An aptitude for educating coworkers, explaining why a design is the way it is, and discussing alternatives’ pros and cons
- Experience at other startups and/or small teams
- You’ve built user interfaces targeted at a technical audience before
- UX research experience
- Team management experience
- Experience in the database industry
- There are low-quality whiteboard diagrams or scratch paper drawings in your portfolio because they solved a real problem
- Experience with fit-and-finish interaction design: clickables, animations, etc.
- Extra points if you’re in New York, NY or wouldn’t mind visiting occasionally
- Major plus: You have ever tried to do anything with the AWS developer dashboard
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to develop the exceptional product we are building. Our dynamic team has incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity employer.
Please follow the link included in this listing reach out directly to email@example.com. Thank you!