Head of Design
- USA Only
Title: Head of Design
Our Customers Develop Software at the Speed of Ideas. CloudBees is powering the continuous economy by offering the world’s first end-to-end continuous software delivery platform. For millions of developers and product teams driving innovation for businesses large or small, the CloudBees Platform builds on Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), Feature Management (FM), Release Orchestration (RO), and DevOps Analytics to enable all functions and teams within and around the software delivery organization to best work together to amplify value creation.
CloudBees is the continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD) and application release orchestration (ARO) powerhouse built from the commercial success of its products and its open source leadership as the largest contributor to Jenkins and a founding member of the Continuous Delivery Foundation (CDF). With a globally distributed workforce of more than 500 employees, the company reflects the global nature of the DevOps movement. We believe in walking the talk! From startups with full-stack developers practicing NoOps to large Fortune 100 companies, CloudBees enables all software-driven organizations to intelligently deploy the right capabilities at the right time.
Over 3,500 of the world’s best known brands and over 50% of the Fortune 500, invest in CloudBees because of its ability to work across any cloud, in any development environment and to balance corporate governance and control with developer flexibility and freedom.
CloudBees is home to the world’s leading DevOps experts helping thousands of companies harness the power of continuous everything and putting them on the fastest path from great idea, to great software, to great business value.
Why this Position?
As the Head of Design at CloudBees, you will be responsible for driving the next generation user experience with our market leading enterprise software delivery platform.
You are a thoughtful manager, a systems-level design thinker, a rockstar user experience designer creative in addressing user needs as discovered through research. You thrive with complexity, tolerate ambiguity, and are excited by the challenge of leading teams to create novel design systems. You’ll be responsible for guiding the careers of your team members, working closely with each of them to help them realize their full potential. You will collaborate closely with leaders in research, product management, and engineering; understanding and informing the company and product strategy while advocating for the user. You will create and clarify design strategy, working closely with the Head of Customer Experience, conceptualize UX ecosystems in ways that mitigate complexity, and inspire teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible. You will articulate this design strategy and related decisions to leadership and stakeholders. And finally, you will oversee teams of highly skilled designers and be responsible for their growth, work and overall development.
What You’ll Do
- Lead, coach, and further build a team of managers and UX designers for a broad product portfolio; a team that earns the respect and admiration of the entire organization.
- Lead your team in defining the near term and future state for a best-in-class product experience.
- Partner with product management and engineering teams to ensure alignment between product experience, business objectives, and engineering feasibility.
- Develop processes that assure design quality throughout the organization.
- Partner with peer leadership to drive strategic initiatives throughout the organization and ensure successful execution.
- Identify, develop, and advocate for the specific design skills needed on the team to achieve an experience vision.
- Represent the team and its design strategies to stakeholders across the organization.
What the Role Requires
- A demonstrated ability to deliver world-class product experiences.
- 5+ years of experience managing and scaling design teams, ideally with management layers beneath you.
- 10+ years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, product designer, or similar, leading and delivering comprehensive and elegant end-to-end solutions within a complex business environment, with some experience designing applications for enterprise customers.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to articulate UX decisions and problem statements to executives, stakeholders, customers, and other team members.
- The ability to communicate complex technical concepts in meaningful/actionable ways.
- Experience overseeing and gaining adoption of design systems that span multiple products.
- Experience developing operational practices that scale.
- Experience working with product and development leaders to ensure user needs are balanced in product strategy.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to define, manage, and prioritize work, successfully multi-tasking a variety of critical priorities.
- The schedule availability to collaborate with teams largely in the Eastern US and Europe.
- NOTE: as part of the interview process you will be asked to present a portfolio of work you’ve overseen and/or done directly.
- Experience leading design teams within the DevOps space.
What You’ll Get
- Highly competitive benefits and vacation package
- Ability to work for one of the fastest growing companies with some of the most talented people in the industry
- Team outings
- Fun, Hardworking, and Casual Environment
- Endless Growth Opportunities
At CloudBees, we truly believe that the more diverse we are, the better we serve our customers. A global community like Jenkins demands a global focus from CloudBees. Organizations with greater diversity gender, racial, ethnic, and global are stronger partners to their customers. Whether by creating more innovative products, or better understanding our worldwide customers, or establishing a stronger cross-section of cultural leadership skills, diversity strengthens all aspects of the CloudBees organization.
In the technology industry, diversity creates a competitive advantage. CloudBees customers demand technologies from us that solve their software development, and therefore their business problems, so that they can better serve their own customers. CloudBees attributes much of its success to its worldwide work force and commitment to global diversity, which opens our proprietary software to innovative ideas from anywhere. Along the way, we have witnessed firsthand how employees, partners, and customers with diverse perspectives and experiences contribute to creative problem solving and better solutions for our customers and their businesses.