Freelance Route Editor - Outdoor Content US
- USA Only
- 0 applicants (0%)
Location: US Locations Only; 100% Remote; Freelance
Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with an easy route planner. Driven by a desire to explore and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, komoot’s mission is to inspire great adventures, making them accessible to all. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times—and with over 30 million users and 300,000 five-star reviews—komoot is on the way to becoming the most popular cycling and hiking app for people who love adventures worldwide.
Join our fully-remote team of freelance editors and change the way people explore!
About the role
To inspire our growing community in the US and take our Tour recommendations there to the next level, we’re looking to build a team of freelance editors with outdoor passion and local expertise.
You must demonstrate strong US outdoor knowledge, especially of well-known hiking, cycling, and running routes, and ideally, have lived there for several years.
This is a freelance and fully-remote position. Editors are most successful in this role when they can offer an average time commitment of at least 15 hours a week and are available for a longer-term working relationship.
What you will do
The main task of the role is to create routes to inspire, guide, and activate our growing user base of outdoor enthusiasts in the US. These will be made using our route planner and based on research, your expertise, and some data insights.
To bring those routes to life, you will improve existing user-generated content and create new Highlights where there are content gaps.
You will also:
- Review and edit existing routes and Highlight content to keep it accurate and looking fresh
- Search the komoot database for images and source pictures from external platforms
- Research the most popular routes, hotspots, and points of interest in a given area and evaluate them against our data
- Edit and update OpenStreetMap (OSM) data to improve and enrich OSM geoinformation for the entire outdoor community
- Optimize route and Highlight names, and localize into English where needed
- Help with peer-proofreading and other ad-hoc tasks
Why you will love it
- You will utilize all of your greatest passions: The outdoors, researching and route-planning
- Your content will inspire and guide millions of people, from seasoned outdoor lovers to novice hikers and cyclists.
- We encourage you to work from wherever you want, but you must be available for regular sync sessions, which will be held during normal office hours in UTC-1 and UTC+3 time zones.
- The hourly rate for this role is 19.50$ (/€18.50). You should be set up as a freelancer where you live, know how to pay your taxes and contributions, and be able to invoice us monthly.
You will be successful in this position if
- You have excellent outdoor knowledge in several popular regions in the US
- In your region(s) and beyond, you understand different access laws/countryside codes of conduct or know where to find this information
- You have in-depth expertise in at least two of the following sports: bike touring, hiking, MTB, road cycling, gravel cycling and trail running
- You are an expert in planning routes digitally and can read maps
- You love to share your expertise and passion for the outdoors with like-minded people
- You are digitally minded and are comfortable adopting the latest tools to improve your efficiency
- You have an eye for the right images to illustrate your route content, plus you know what image resources to use and how to attribute these correctly
- You are available to work for komoot weekly and for a more extended period
- You are fluent in English
- You are highly motivated, structured, and target-oriented in your approach to work
- You are already used to longer stretches of desk-based work and concentrating on digital tasks.
- Experience with geographical databases, especially OpenStreetMap, will be a bonus.
Sound like you?
We would love to hear from you! Please click the apply button and share with us:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience
- Your availability (hours/week)
- Your location
- Your answers to our questions (see the application)