Designer, Editor II
- USA Only
- 1 applicant (11%)
News / United States / Remote
McClatchy, a national leader in digital media, is growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways. We are experiencing the most transformative period in our history.
McClatchy is hiring a Design-Editor for our Publishing Center, which is responsible for putting out print editions for newsrooms across the US. This position prepares editorial content for print, which may include editing content to optimize for specific print usages or page design using templates and shapes.
Our Design-Editor needs to be able to execute core skills at a higher level of expertise (i.e. design special sections, finish high-profile content) AND ability to fulfill roles in more than one core skill area (finishing, quality control, print planning, wire editing). Must demonstrate excellent news judgment and can handle demands for multiple newsrooms. Able to make decisions about story play for multiple markets.
This position requires diplomacy, negotiating and communication skills. Trusted with the most important of our editorial content, sensitive stories and breaking news situations. May also be proficient navigating wires and handling wire content. May also be responsible for high-end design projects, which involve collaboration with the newsroom.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $24.00 and $24.00 per hour. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography, and local wage and hours laws.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Make decisions about story play for multiple markets.
- Perform a role in page design for print at a level that meets publication standards.
- May be called upon to perform quality control or wire editing roles.
- Handle demands for multiple newsrooms and editors.
- Meet all product deadlines and standards for quality.
- Help identify and implement ways to improve operational efficiency.
- Coach, mentor and raise journalistic standards for publishing center employees.
- Manage content and workflow within the publishing center and partner newsrooms, and ensure that procedures are followed.
- Communicate with colleagues and customers using established digital channels.
- Other duties as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Ability to make edits in stories in order to fit the print usage, including headline and cutline writing, and making sensible trims to overset stories; demonstrate high-level design and/or editing skills.
- Ability to create and distribute story packages, including wire content and databases, for various platforms as needed.
- Strong news judgment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills necessary to meet the requirements of multiple editors, publishers and departments at each news organization.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to multitask on deadline.
- Relied upon to troubleshoot problems and quickly implement solutions.
- Works under minimal or no supervision to complete design and/or editing duties.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS and/or SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism or related field.
- A minimum of five years’ experience in word editing or page design at a daily newspaper preferred.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growtha place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.
McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on well-being and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.