- USA Only
- 9 applicants (19%)
We’re seeking a brilliant Design Director who is also a great designer with a passion for provocative, impactful ideas to lead our Creative team, and help push the boundaries of what’s next.
At Big Sea, our Design Director serves as a critical thought leader in creative campaigns and digital direction while directing the staff, budgets, vendors, resources, quality and performance standards, and timelines of projects and deliverables.
We’re looking for someone who understands how to create the most impactful designs within both open-ended budgets and timeframes as well as lean budgets with quick turnaround times.
We need a designer who exhibits a high degree of expertise because we’re asking you to:
- Convey and sell vision: direct and inspire a team while working collaboratively across a complex organization
- Bring new ideas and vision to life across a wide scope of unique projects, including marketing and creative campaigns, websites, products, and video productions.
- Lead and manage visual brand strategy across client accounts and for the agency
- Mentor and lead our creative staff; cultivate an engaging atmosphere leading to the development of outstanding creative
- Partner with all implementation teams to ensure execution of ideas as planned
- Develop trusted partnerships with peers, other teams and external partners
- Coach and oversee the creative process and output, providing mentoring and feedback
- Help out with new business development, including concepting and pitching to clients as well as creating creative biz dev collateral materials
- Create standards, processes and establish measurements of success for creative deliverables
A little about you:
- You’re an energizing and empathetic leader. You’ll help us grow our creative practice and provide mentorship and oversight to copywriters, art directors and developers on the team.
- You have at least 5 years of experience at a creative or advertising agency.
- Your portfolio showcases successful campaign work for a range of audiences, channels, and industries.
- You have an impeccable eye for design, and an ear for smart, catchy copy. You’re comfortable guiding both. And you’re game to get your hands dirty.
- You’re a born storyteller and a secret strategist. Working closely with Strategy and Media team members, you’ll ensure that our briefs can spark groundbreaking creative—and that the creative is grounded in consumer insights, and business goals.
- You can effectively build trusting relationships with both clients and colleagues. You’ll gain respect from founders, and be seen as a creative partner and adviser, pushing the boundaries of what they thought was creatively possible.
- You’re excited by the challenge of crafting compelling stories for brands big, small, and not-yet-launched. You’re invigorated by a challenge, and not inhibited by budget or time constraints.
- You have a great sense of humor and thrive in an extremely collaborative, fast-moving environment.
- Most importantly, you’re kind.
A note on your location: We are a remote-first agency, though a majority of our team members do live in the Tampa Bay area. We do expect to maintain a flexible work-from-home policy for the foreseeable future but appreciate in- person meetings at least monthly -- thus, we prefer that you are close enough to our offices to get there when appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree with a concentration in art or design
- 10+ years of professional design experience with a focus on digital or advertising design
- Current knowledge of best practice in web design and experience with responsive web design
- Ability to communicate design rationale thoughtfully both internally and with clients in order to establish understanding and collaboration.
- Strong and engaging presentation skills to be used in presentations with internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be team-oriented and comfortable with receiving constructive feedback and input from others.
- Demonstrable experience working with design software like Adobe Creative Cloud, Figma, or Sketch
- Expert understanding of the formal elements of design, including typography, layout, balance, and proportion.
- Ability to use data to inform decisions.
- Great attention to detail, with the ability to proof both your words and your pixels.
- An open mind and growth orientation — you love trying new things, developing new skills, and are motivated, not deterred, by failing.
- A love of brainstorming sessions and believe collaboration and experimentation is critical to success.
- Ability to lead by example in terms of attention to detail, general work ethic, empathy, and internal/external professionalism.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines
As a full-time employee of the Big Sea team, you’ll enjoy big-company benefits in a small-company setting. That’s why every Big Sea team member receives medical insurance along with company-paid dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and parental leave. A 401(k) program is also available for you to start saving for your future. Each year, you’ll get a professional development budget to attend trainings, conferences, and industry events. But perhaps most rewarding of all is our commitment to giving you a creative, autonomous, and collaborative daily work environment—from our offices in St. Pete, Colorado Springs, Asheville or remotely. Working at Big Sea means growing personally, professionally, and as a team.
Big Sea is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please, let us know ([email protected]).