Associate Editor, Breaking News
- USA Only
- 0 applicants
Title: Associate Editor, Breaking News
The big picture: Axios is looking for a talented early-career editor to help steer breaking news coverage across Axios.com four evenings a week and on Saturday.
Between the lines: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit, a passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Experience assisting or leading a breaking news desk, assigning stories and ensuring quality reporting and editing
- Experience identifying the most urgent news on the web as it emerges, moving quickly to turn around coverage while coordinating with the newsroom’s topical experts
- Familiarity with the competitive breaking news space on the web, including experience writing sharp headlines built for social media and SEO
- Experience with alerting news for app, email and social audiences
- Proven attention to detail on fact checking and copy editing
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in fast-twitch, high pressure news environments
- Comfort with newsroom workflow tools and real-time analytics
- Willingness to work the following schedule: Noon to 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday through Friday and 8 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday.
- Exceptional verbal communication and collaboration skills, especially in a remote-centric environment
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios Family Fund, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.