Art Director, Animated Film [Remote]
Full Time W2. Remote.
Reports to the Art Department Manager
Art Director for Animated Feature Film
The Art Director is responsible for executing and managing visual direction from the Production Designer. They creatively manage the technical team creating the design for characters, sets, backgrounds, props, lighting, and costumes. They are responsible for achieving the highest level of excellence without sacrificing the timeline of the film or the health of the team. The Art Director is globally responsible for the technical excellence of the design of the film from start to finish.
Epipheo is an animation studio with a long history in animation for advertising, but this is our first 2D animated feature film. We seek an experienced Art Director to help bring this project to life.
- Work closely with the Production Designer to determine visual style across every scene.
- Creatively manage work across Character Designers, Background Artists, and Color Artists to ensure the team completes work up to par with the Production Designer’s vision. This includes assigning work to artists based on the ability and performance.
- Responsible for ensuring designs are executable in animation. Must balance design decisions with implications on the animation pipeline.
- Will direct a small group of animators inside the Art Department to test designs for animation pipeline issues in real-time.
- Globally responsible for quality control across the technicians in the Art Department. Will execute Key Art, Drawovers, Hand-off presentations, and guideline development. Generally, get the team what they need to implement the production designer’s vision successfully.
- They will work closely with the Department Managers to optimize team schedules and scene assignments to achieve master scheduled deliverables.
- Responsible for acquiring direction assets for the Art Department technicians. For example: Get an explicit reference from the Production Designer for a specific character. Or location reference from photography from a location scout. If your team is flying blind, you are there to give them vision again.
- Continue to work as the film goes into production to ensure animated scenes remain on design. This includes, but isn’t limited to, pose draw overs, ad hoc asset development, background feedback and approval, lighting direction, texture direction, and color direction.
- Work alongside the Production Designer as artistic continuity watchdogs across animation teams to ensure animation from different animation studios matches.
Requirements & Skills
- 5+ years of experience in film or television art departments
- Experience managing artists
- Must be able to use remote feedback software (SyncSketch, Shotgrid, Frame.io, etc.)
- Excellent visual design skills.
- Must be able to create clear, concise remote direction communication
- Ability to manage a team and carry a design project from start to finish
- Working knowledge of production processes and theories
- Excellent feedback presentation skills
- Expert understanding of color
- Deep understanding of how to design affects animation pipelines
- Sketching ability and ability to communicate ideas through drawings and models
- Ability to solve problems and be resourceful and adaptable
- Ability to plan, schedule, and monitor progress across a large project
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe suite
- Experience running a team remotely