Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Model: DIRECT HIRE or 1099 Contractor NOT C2C
Location: US based only.
We're growing rapidly and looking for talented Site Reliability Engineers, like you, that care about building great products that solve big problems.
Our engineers work on products that make a difference in the world! From petty financial crimes up through major extortion & election hijacking events, many social engineering attacks start with phishing emails. We also build state of the art tools for IT and security operations centers, helping them identify & kill phishing attacks for large enterprises and organizations.
Cofense offers businesses an innovative approach to stopping phishing attacks. And while our team members do deliver best-in-class software and automation, they also know that the smartest machines can’t do the stuff humans are wired for—like flagging an email that appears flawless but uses the wrong nickname for the person receiving the email. It’s the power of collective human intelligence, which Cofense applies to work life, too, with flexible career opportunities for all levels of interests and experience. And, to top it all off, there are events like Bring Your Mutt to Work Days, virtual potlucks, wellness events, happy hours, and more.
- Work closely with Engineering and Product teams to identify and implement solutions that meet production, QA, development, and administrative needs in Linux-based environments
- Identify changes for the product architecture from the reliability, performance, and availability perspective with a data driven approach
- Architect and maintain multi-site, high-availability solutions
- Own and suggest improvements to our deployment process and tools
- Identify technical debt and provide plans to remediate
- Diagnose and resolve production system issues
- Participate in rotating on-call schedule
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- A self-starter who is willing to take a task from gathering requirements to deployment and maintenance
- Can manage and support cloud (AWS) production environments
- Are proficient with configuration management tools (Ansible preferred)
- Have acted in a technical leadership capacity (lead engineer) to provide services/functions in a production setting
- Have championed new technologies/processes, and architected their design, implementation and delivery to production
- Familiar with managing and maintaining Route53 configurations
- Can implement and manage high-availability infrastructure solutions with automatic failover
- Managed PostgreSQL, AWS Aurora and/or MySQL in production environments
- Able to coordinate large feature development
- Polyglot programming expertise
- Stay on top of current DevOps and infrastructure news
- Have used Docker in a production environment as part of the "product", not just in the CI workflow.
- Preferably have used Docker in a remote environment (think appliance)
- Able to work effectively and be pragmatic as part of a remote team in a dynamic business environment
- Know a domain well and be able to share that knowledge
- Comfortable working independently and able to escalate problems when necessary
- Able to take charge of a nebulous requirement and drive it through design to completion
- Can identify problem or opportunity areas, develop and implement fixes and changes as necessary
- Able to communicate effectively with developers, engineers and upper management
- Eager to learn; able to understand and apply new things relatively quickly
- Willing to mentor and guide fellow team members effectively and constructively in a wide variety of disciplines, both technical and business-like in nature
- Happy to travel occasionally for team meetings and events
Education and/or Experience:
- Experience with Ubuntu and Red Hat/CentOS in production environments
- Experience supporting full stack Java applications (Maven/Artifactory)
- Experience using and supporting CI environments (Jenkins/Docker)
- Experience with infrastructure as code, preferably Terraform or CloudFormation
- Experience with docker orchestration - eg. ECS/Fargate, Kubernetes, Rancher etc.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred
The above statements are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be a listing of all of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This job description is not a contract of employment, either express or implied. Employment with Cofense will be voluntarily entered into and your employment is considered at will. Cofense reserves the right to alter the job description at any time without notice
Cofense is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis [protected class] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable national, federal, state or local laws and ordinances. We adhere to these commitments in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, and discipline