Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.57 billion in loan capital for 3.9 million borrowers in 98 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
As a Senior Devops / Site Reliability Engineer , you’ll join a small, established SRE team at Kiva. You’ll play a key role in defining and building our core AWS-based infrastructure, observability systems, and tooling.
You’ll be our ideal candidate if you know that effective communication is among the most important tools in your toolbox, are dedicated to always looking for how things can be improved, refining your craft, and geeking out on emerging technologies, and are excited by the idea of joining our mission to advance global financial equity in collaboration with dedicated, passionate teammates.
This role is open to both remote US-based candidates and candidates local to our Portland or San Francisco offices. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately, we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with AWS and infrastructure-as-code (eg, Terraform)
- Experience implementing observability patterns using tools like DataDog, New Relic, etc.
- Experience building automated workflows and reducing toil using Python or similar scripting languages
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or Kafka
- Backend development experience using a JVM language or PHP
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines and tooling
- Networking and database administration experience
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package that includes unlimited PTO, Professional stipend and more
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.