Senior Security Architect
Title: Senior Security Architect
Location: Virtual Worker, IL, US, N/A
Grainger is a leading broad line distributor with operations primarily in North America, Japan and the United Kingdom. We achieve our purpose, We Keep the World Working®, by serving more than 4.5 million customers with a wide range of products that keep their operations running and their people safe. Grainger also delivers services and solutions, such as technical support and inventory management, to save customers time and money.
We’re looking for passionate people who can move our company forward. As one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, we have a welcoming workplace where you can build a career for yourself while fulfilling our purpose to keep the world working. We embrace new ways of thinking and recognize everyone is an individual. Find your way with Grainger today.
The Senior Security Architect will be the security strategist and technology architect supporting infrastructure and network security. You will engage with our business and technology partners to improve security posture and business outcomes. Infrastructure and networks are foundational to our overall security and so you will also be helping to secure Grainger as a whole. If you enjoy complex architectural challenges, collaborating across technology disciplines, and driving a vision for security as an enabler of business this role may be right for you!
You will lead the development of architectures, strategies, roadmaps, and bring awareness of trends in the industry to be applied to Grainger’s business goals. You will develop the patterns, frameworks, and standards for Grainger partnering with technologists from across the company. Finally, you will assist teams in the selection of technologies through PoV exercises, analysis of results, and presenting recommendations to management.
While having the skills for the role are important, as important is the ability to align infrastructure security outcomes to our enterprise. Listening to our partners and advocating for security will be important for success in this role. You will be supported by a team of security domain architects so improved infrastructure and network security will bring improved security across our whole business.
You will report to the Director, Information Security and may be based remotely or at our offices in the Chicago area.
- Own and drive the security architecture, conceptual and logical designs, standards, and solutions within one or more domains
- Advocate for modern approaches to security challenges within the security group and out to the wider Grainger enterprise
- Be a resource for teams looking for deeper clarity, potential solutions, or recommendations for meeting security requirements
- Lead design exercises to translate security needs into durable patterns and solutions
- Perform risk assessments and identify capabilities needed to address current and anticipated challenges
- Review existing environment standards, designs, tools, and services to determine areas of weakness, inconsistency, or exposure, this while offering recommendations for remediations and maturity
- Technical expertise with security technology architecture, design, engineering, or delivery
- Experience designing security in an infrastructure context, for example working with routing, switching, load balancing, routing, load balancers, Wi-Fi, databases, servers, and storage
- Experience with security technologies such as firewalls, IDS/IPS, NAC, EDR, encryption, IAM, WAF, 802.1x, proxies and similar
- Knowledge of leading products from vendors like Palo Alto, Cisco, Zscaler, Okta, and Microsoft
- Experience designing for zero trust and patterns such as ZTNA, zones, defense in depth, and layering
- Experience in integrated security and technology through enterprise frameworks like SABSA or SDLC practices such as Agile or DevOps
- Experience developing security frameworks based on industry standards and approaches such as NIST, ISO, PCI
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science (related) or equivalent experience as a hand-on security architect/senior security engineer
- 5+ years of information security experience especially with strategy, design, or delivery of security services.
- Industry certifications are highly desired (i.e. CISSP, CCSP, or other advanced-level certifications).
Rewards and Benefits:
With benefits starting day one, Grainger is committed to your safety, health and wellbeing. Our programs provide choice and flexibility to meet our team members’ individual needs. Check out some of the rewards available to you at Grainger
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- Paid time off (PTO) and 6 company holidays per year
- Automatic 6% 401(k) company contribution each pay period
- Employee discounts, parental leave, 3:1 match on donations and tuition reimbursement
- A comprehensive set of emotional, financial, physical and social wellbeing programs
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.