Senior DevOps Engineer
"Castor’s products have supported medical researchers to capture almost 200 million data points in over 5000 research projects across the globe! Many research institutes prefer their data to be stored within their own country, so one of the bigger challenges our platform team is tackling right now is how to operate on this global scale while ensuring data is stored securely and stays within the right geographical boundaries."
Nick Groenen, Senior Site Reliability Engineer at Castor
Castor is a leading cloud-based clinical data platform working with some of the world’s largest medical device companies, biopharma, and renowned academic institutes.
We simplify the clinical trial process, from recruitment to analysis, with user-friendly, patient-centric technology. Our mission is to bring medical research into the digital age. Why? Because medical research is still largely run using free-text, paper, and legacy technology.
Our self-service platform enables our users to run remote, device-enabled, patient-centric trials. By helping our users capture high-quality data and making it machine-readable, we are fundamentally changing the flawed evidence- based medicine process.
How is Castor supporting the Coronavirus crisis?
Castor has joined the global fight against the Coronavirus by making our research data capture system available for free for all COVID-19 research projects. Castor is supporting more than 250 COVID-19 studies across the world, including the World Health Organization’s SOLIDARITY trial.
What you’ll do:
We are looking for DevOps Engineers who will support the current cloud infrastructure and continuously improve security, stability, and performance. You’ll do it by:
- Building new and improve existing cloud infrastructure systems and tooling;
- Contributing to our Terraform, Ansible, and Kubernetes code/configuration;
- Responding and helping to solve incidents and outages;
- Helping engineers and supporting staff in resolving issues related to infrastructure, CI, deployment, monitoring, and more;
What you’ll need:
- The curiosity to learn and understand the systems you’re working with, topped with the ability to evaluate trade-offs and applying best practices for infrastructure operations;
- A good understanding of Linux systems and containerization (Docker, Kubernetes) and networking principles.
- A general understanding of how web applications and databases work;
- The ability to plan and execute large-scale infrastructure projects (of course supported by the rest of the team)
- An understanding of the trade-offs of several architectural patterns (e.g. microservices vs. monoliths)
- Adherence to our security standards and a strong commitment to user privacy. We process highly sensitive (health) information and your role will put you close to that data, so we expect you to take that responsibility as seriously as we do.
Good to have:
- Experience with PHP, Python, Golang or any other programming language ;
- Experience with Terraform or at least one API-centric cloud provider (Azure, AWS, GCP, OpenStack);
- Experience with at least one configuration management tool (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack);
- Experience with some aspects of observability in distributed systems, such as metrics instrumentation, monitoring, or logging;
What you'll get
At Castor, we truly live and breathe our core values, believing we can achieve anything with a healthy and happy team.' With this in mind, we offer the following benefits:
- An awesome new office near Amsterdam Amstelstation - the Castor Burrow - that’s slowly reopening now that the regulations allow it. If you are based not in the Netherlands or prefer to work from home, we are remote-first and support fully remote employees;
- A competitive salary plus an 8% annual holiday bonus;
- An annual company bonus plan, rewarding your efforts to help Castor grow;
- 30 days annual leave (plus national holiday days);
- Interested in ‘lifelong learning’? You’ll love using our development and training budget;
- We love good food! So, we provide lunch and healthy snacks in the office;
- Flexible approach to working - nobody is tracking your time;
- A MacBook or Dell laptop, we’re a tech start-up after all ;)
- Like to feel zen? You’ll love our company subscription to Calm for meditation and yoga
- Grow together as a team during our annual company retreat
Castor continues to grow as an Equal Opportunities Employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of colour, and people from the LGBTQ(+) community. In your application, please feel free to share the pronouns you use (for example she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).