Engineering Manager, Apps Platform
- USA Only
- 2 applicants
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in- depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic is looking to deliver world class mobile experiences for its users. Our newly formed App Platforms Team will build the tools and technologies that empower native app development. This team supports product teams that regularly ship features within one or more of our mobile apps. We focus heavily on developer and product team efficiency, research and development, standards and best practices, core mobile infrastructure and release management. Our systems are built primarily with Swift and Kotlin. This role will report to the Vice President of Engineering.
This role will be remote for candidates located in the US or Canada.
- Manage a team of iOS and Android engineers responsible for evolving the foundational platforms that power native app development.
- Consult with Product Teams to ensure high quality and consistent architectures across our native stacks.
- Provide detailed technical evaluations of plans, architecture, and practices developed by your teams.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, QA, and your Engineering Team to define strategy and execute on your roadmap.
- Partner with Product Managers and your Engineering Team to prioritize, plan and schedule work.
- Coordinate and deliver product releases across web, and mobile apps, as well as deployment of services to support our products.
- Ensure your team and stakeholders have visibility around the whole development lifecycle and key progress indicators.
- Partner with Staff Engineers to develop, socialize, and implement mobile engineering practices to support quality, reliability, scalability, working with Mobile Engineers across all of engineering, including those embedded on Product Teams
- Invest in research and development to ensure we are leveraging modern and optimal technologies to meet our enterprise needs.
- Make technology and hiring decisions to meet anticipated demands and scale.
- Evaluate trade-offs and effectively prioritize tasks within the team in alignment with strategic initiatives and company goals.
- Contribute to important company-wide initiatives like diversity and inclusion, technical brand, and hiring process.
- 2+ years leading one or more native app engineering teams.
- Deep understanding of the mobile domain and its unique complexities.
- Ability to communicate highly technical concepts to non-technical partners and stakeholders.
- Proven experience managing high-performing teams with senior engineers.
- You value the learning and growth of your team.
- You have a passion for The Athletic’s mission and desire to help us shape the future of digital journalism.
The annual base salary range for this role is $176,000.00 – $193,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non- cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
– Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
– Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
– 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
– Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review ourApplicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.