Sr. Data Scientist, Machine Learning
- USA Only
- 0 applicants
Title:Sr. Data Scientist, Machine Learning
Location: US Remote
DATA DATA SCIENCE
Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured and designed for the way our customers live their lives. A bank for all of us.
About The Role
Varo represents a new generation of fintech built on technology and innovation to empower consumers. We serve millions of Americans with our mobile app to make digital banking easy, convenient, and personalized. As a Senior Data Scientist (Machine Learning), you’ll get the chance to develop innovative models that affect millions of users in the fintech space. You’ll work with experienced Machine Learning Scientists as well as collaborate with your peers on exciting science problems in the fraud detection, risk modeling, personalization, operations, and causal inference spaces.
About the Data Science Team
Varo’s Data Science Team develops Machine Learning models that make it easier for the right people to get access to funds, help protect customers from fraudsters, and transform the in-app experience with real-time recommendations. Unlike some organizations where data takes a support role, here at Varo data science is front and center. Since we are in hyper-growth mode, you will get to work on the most impactful data science problems from day one. We rely on advanced techniques in machine learning, cloud platforms, and data technology. We’re a team of PhDs and ex-academics with a collegial work atmosphere. If you are interested in working with an impressive team of Data pros who collaborate and challenge each other and want to solve interesting problems to propel the company’s growth, apply now!
What you’ll be doing
- Develop production-grade ML algorithms, such as fraud detection algorithms, recommender systems, dynamic credit risk models, and large-scale causal inference models, as well as processes for monitoring and analyzing their performance
- Leverage large data sets from different sources, and use modern modeling techniques such as tree-based methods, neural networks, and reinforcement learning to increase and optimize customer experiences, customer acquisition, underwriting, and other business outcomes
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for driving business decisions or improving our product suite with ML
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the engineering team to deploy models and monitor outcomes
You’ll bring the following required skills and experiences
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field – computer science, engineering, statistics, operations research, economics, etc.
- 4+ years of experience as a Data Scientist, Machine Learning Scientist, or Research Scientist as an individual contributor, including but not limited to relevant experience from your PhD research
- Experience applying a wide range of statistical techniques to large data sets, and understanding their real-world advantages/drawbacks
- Experienced in using Python for analysis, modeling, and visualization (numpy, pandas, scikit, nltk, matplotlib, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong bias for action and team player
- Preferred: Familiarity with Sagemaker, Spark, TensorFlow, Keras, and PyTorch
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria above and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank all-digital, mission- driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
Our Core Values
– Customers First
– Take Ownership
– Stay Curious
– Make it Better
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected] with the pertinent information and contact information.