Head of Data
Title: Head of Data
Location: Denver, CO; New York City, NY; San Francisco, CA, Remote
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k), expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 200,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, and it starts right here at Gusto. That’s why we’re committed to building a collaborative and inclusive workplace, both physically and virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
We’re looking for an experienced leader for our Data organization. You will be responsible for improving our products and customer experience by providing relevant and timely data, insights, and decisions across the organization. As one of our most senior leaders, you will play an important role in how data gets used to grow our business and deliver value to our small business customers.
The Data Team at Gusto consists of three functions: Data Platform, Business Intelligence, and Data Science. It’s a team of 50+ individuals (and growing!) who develop and maintain Gusto’s data infrastructure, capabilities, and tools. They develop core reporting for our product and business teams and build machine learning models and data products to grow our business. As the leader of this team, you will report to the Head of EPD (Engineering, Product, Design, and Data) and be part of the EPD leadership group. We are excited to bring a thought leader to our team who can help drive leading-edge Data work at our company, and foster a representative culture that leads with data and insights to drive great business results.
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day
- Define and own Gusto’s data strategy, aligning our data roadmap and talent strategy with the company’s strategic plans.
- Recruit, hire and retain a representative team of data scientists, analysts, data engineers and data leaders.
- Partner with business leaders and GMs to ensure that they and their teams have the tools, reporting and support to consistently make the best data-informed decisions. Proactively provide advanced analytics and insights to leaders that they may not be seeing.
- Provide technical guidance to our Data Engineering and BI leaders and their teams to build a world-class data infrastructure and platform
- Improve our credit/risk/fraud models, and analytics, forecasting and reporting capabilities.
- Build data products that can help our 200,000+ small businesses make data-informed decisions.
- Partner with our People, Legal, Compliance and Privacy teams to ensure that we are enforcing best practices and compliant standards for data privacy and security.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 10+ years of experience leading Data organizations, preferably at companies serving small businesses and/or consumers.
- A passionate advocate, evangelist and communicator for how to use data across an organization who can both educate and be responsive to your leadership counterparts.
- A nuanced understanding of both the power and limits of how data can inform different types of product and business decisions.
- Experience scaling Data organization through private and public phases of a company journey.
- An excellent communicator at multiple altitudes. You should be able to talk technically with engineers and data analysts, but also be adept at storytelling and decision making through insights, and not lose the executive team/other collaborators in the details of numbers and stats.
- A servant leader: You mentor, coach and grow your leads, open doors for anyone on your team or in the organization, and also identify talent gaps and fill them.
- Experience leading matrixed teams in addition to a centralized organization is ideal. For example, our Data Science team is centrally reporting but embedded within our business segments.