Director - Data Science
- USA Only
Title: Director, Data Science
- Location: United States
This position is a remote role, open anywhere throughout the United States.
Save lives. Fulfill yours.
At the American Cancer Society, we’re leading the fight for a world without cancer. Our employees and 1.5 million volunteers are raising the bar every single day. We actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds including communities of color, the LGBTQ community, veterans, and people with disabilities. The greater the diversity of our people, the better we can serve our communities.
The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our lifesaving mission. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled.
The Director of Data Science is a part of our expanding global Data & Analytics team drives data science at ACS. We partner with our business to influence strategy and decision-making and empower our internal customers by providing education and thought leadership on implementing analytics in the business environments. The Director of Data Science is responsible for productize our business intelligence efforts, partner with Digital Marketing team to improve our customer experience, and our research team are effectively using data science tools to deliver amazing insights. In addition, the role follows the Center of Excellence model to help business analysts throughout the Society become more data literate, more capable answering questions and more able to solve problems utilizing data science tools. This role will help grow and lead the team and set the pattern for how data science will be delivered at ACS.
- Leads a team of data analysts, developers, architects supporting internal lines of business
- Chairs the Data Science Center of Excellence and provide education and thought leadership on driving data science at ACS.
- Provides coaching and guidance on data science best practices, not only to your immediate team but also to the entire organization
- Creates robust analytic and data science products in key areas (e.g. Digital Marketing, Population Science, HR, etc.)
- Implements a wide array of analytic techniques including Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Partners with business leadership and execute on project portfolio aimed at business value
- Partners with regional team and digital team to design prototypes and vertical solutions to improve the current customer experience
- Develops and delivers training curriculum on data science leveraging existing tools (e.g. Power BI, Snowflake, SAS, R, etc.)
- Sets financial, operational and quality objectives for the unit and develops master operational plans. Plans, develops and manages departmental expense and capital budgets.
- Keep abreast of new trends, and changes in the data science industry.
- Provides status reports and presentations to IT and ACS leadership staff.
- Undertakes specialized projects, studies, and assignments as requested by IT and ACS leadership team.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in IT and 5 years’ experience in data analytics.
- At least 5 years of leadership experience in managing multiple cross-functional teams or projects and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders.
- Experience in working across broad number of domains (e.g. Sales, Marketing, HR, Finance, Research, etc.)
- Requires advanced knowledge of data management, statistical analysis, data visualization and software programming.
- Advanced knowledge in digital marketing and/or population science a plus.
- Outstanding internal and external relationship building skills with a demonstrated ability to collaborate, lead, negotiate, and mentor.
- Furnish top level advice and consultation concerning the costs of data science center.
- Ability to effectively hire, organize, direct, evaluate and retain a professional staff.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; make decisions and draw conclusions.
- Knowledge of all aspects of Information Technology.
- Strong proactive communicator and change management leader who has been instrumental in leading successful initiatives.
- Ability to oversee multiple technology initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to work and provide guidance across departments and divisions in both a team and matrixed environment.
- Self-motivated and able to organize work for others.
- Able to work quickly with attention to detail including high-pressure situations.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a broad range of technical and non-technical staff.
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR KNOWLEDGE:
- Knowledge of the Salesforce, Snowflake, Business Object, SAS, R, and Power BI