Technical Customer Advocate
Looking for a job sucks. Not dissimilar to dating, it's a grueling process that leaves some feeling unappreciated and vulnerable.
What's more, it’s so frustrating to have to wade through vague descriptions and buzzwords to decipher what a company really wants out of you. Trying to make sure it won't be a thankless exploitation for long hours of something you really don't give a crap about.
This may be a maddening or difficult time, and whether or not we end up working together, I hope you find something that fuels you, brings you happiness, and takes advantage of your skills.
Hang in there, Susan
Chief Operating Officer, Scanned Inc.
About the Position
Scanned Inc. is a design-driven consumer electronics design and software company. Our flagship product line, Doxie, has offered award-winning document scanners for going paperless since 2008; Barcode Producer is the industry-leading design suite for creating barcodes for packages and products.
We’re hiring a Technical Customer Advocate to provide customer support for our four different brands of hardware and software products.
This job is offered as a remote position. All positions at Scanned Inc. are remote-friendly. Remote work isn't new to us — we've done it for quite a while, and we're very good at it — and we're organizationally "remote-first."
What You’ll Be Doing
As a Technical Customer Advocate, you’ll spend the majority of your time responding to requests from current and prospective customers, mostly via email. Most interactions are a mix of troubleshooting and providing empathetic customer service that makes people feel heard.
Here’s what that might look like day-to-day:
- Helping customers solve problems with kindness and compassion, and empowering them to resolve issues independently.
- Responding to customers where they contact us: primarily via email, but occasionally, you’ll interact with customers via phone, chat, or social media.
- Troubleshooting and diagnosing technical issues and escalating complex cases to senior staff when appropriate.
- Developing and maintaining product knowledge: you’ll be trained on our products' ins and outs, and you’ll stay informed on trending issues and product updates.
- Assisting with writing and maintaining customer-facing help pages, internal documentation, and standard responses to our most common questions.
- Monitoring and responding to product reviews on Amazon and our other selling platforms
We love our customers, and we want to make sure they have the best experience possible whenever they contact us. That’s where you come in!
This role may be great for you if:
- You love to solve tricky technical problems. You are driven to find the underlying issue and how to resolve it.
- You’re patient, empathetic, and enjoy understanding others.
- You don’t mind asking questions or explaining things twice (or sometimes more).
- You’re curious and adaptable, with the ability to shift strategies quickly to meet the needs of our customers.
- You enjoy working independently and can keep yourself on track with minimal supervision.
An ideal candidate will have:
- At least one year of experience in customer support or a related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - much of the day is spent communicating in written form with both customers and team members.
- Strong interpersonal skills, compassion, enthusiasm, and diligence.
- BONUS: Experience in at least one of these industries or specialties – consumer electronics, consumer goods, B2C software, B2B software, product design, engineering.
- BONUS: Experience working with customers via ticketing software
We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, or sexual orientation.
Benefits & Perks
💰 Salaried Position
This is a full-time salaried position offered at 45,000-50,000 USD per year.
😷 Medical & Vision Insurance
100% paid health insurance (BCBS) and 100% paid vision (Community Eye Care) — as of right now, these are offered to U.S. candidates only.
🧑⚕️ Included On-demand Telehealth Doctor Visits
Our health insurance plans make available on-demand virtual visits with board- certified doctors. See a doctor, therapist, or psychiatrist via your phone, computer, or mobile app — anytime, anywhere (24/7/365).
🙆 Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA & DCFSA)
Full Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA) offered for setting aside a portion of your earnings (pre-tax) to pay for qualified medical and/or dependent care expenses. (As of right now, FSAs are U.S. only)
👶 Parental Leave
To give parents additional flexibility, time to bond with their new child, and adjust to their new family situation, Scanned Inc. will provide up to 12 weeks of fully paid Parental Leave to eligible employees — regardless of gender or sexual identity — who are becoming a parent through childbirth, surrogacy, or adoption of a minor. Parental Leave can be taken consecutively or over the course of a 12-month timeframe.
🏖 Open Vacation Policy
Scanned Inc. has an open vacation and time off policy, with no set number of days per year. Take the time you'd like and need.
💻 All the Hardware and Tools You Need to be Successful
Company-owned Macs, software, and other necessary equipment to successfully perform your responsibilities will be made available to you.
🧻 No Corporate Bullshit
Work with real people who believe in doing great work that delights our customers.
🗺 Work Anywhere
Live and work from wherever you'd like. Our team is scattered throughout the world. Scanned Inc. is "remote-first."
🪴 Furnish Your Home Office
Up to $500 to furnish your home office.
🥳 Mandatory Birthday Leave
Take time off on your birthday and the birthdays of other people living in your household.
⛵️ Sabbatical Leave
Take a consecutive month off, fully paid, after every 4 years with Scanned Inc.
🧐 Fuel your Curiosity
Scanned Inc. will reimburse up to $420 per calendar year for your continued learning and development. This can be related to any topic you'd like to learn about — whether it's related to work or not. This includes online courses, in- person classes, live training, and/or digital news subscription such as The Economist, Wall Street Journal, or New York Times.
Each year, we'll pay up to $250 for you to read books, the way you like. That can be an Audible subscription, Kindle Unlimited subscription, physical books, or any e-reading equipment, like a Kindle Paperwhite, etc.
🔬 Tinker Projects
Monthly engineering and design projects to further your knowledge of how science and math principles tie into everyday objects' design and function.
🏋️ Online Fitness Membership
Stay moving with an online fitness membership program — like Apple Fitness+, Peloton Digital Membership, DailyBurn, etc. Reimbursement up to $180 per calendar year.
🧠 Meditation & Mindfulness Practice
Take advantage of an online meditation app — like Headspace or Calm — or different mindfulness practice (up to $70 per year).
🌬 Breathe Easy
The air you breathe in your home affects your health, productivity, and overall quality of life. We offer every new employee an air purifier to improve their indoor air quality.