Veterinary Blood Bank Manager
- USA Only
Veterinary Blood Bank Manager
We are growing! BluePearl is searching for a Blood Bank Manager to join our team! This is a new role at BluePearl and the position can be based anywhere within the United States.
We wouldn’t be able to fulfill our mission without the invaluable contributions of our dog and cat donors. But, as the pet population continues to grow, so does the number of pets who require blood transfusions. The need is great. A pet’s donation can ultimately provide the gift of life. When pets undergo surgery, or are suffering from trauma, auto-immune diseases, heat stroke, or other illnesses, they may require blood transfusions, just as humans do. Our blood banks for pets are dedicated to providing a safe and plentiful blood supply to animals in need.
The Manager of the BluePearl Blood Bank has quality, medical, and operational oversight of the blood bank network within BluePearl. The Manager is accountable for supply and availability of blood products, quality of blood products, coordinating the logistics of blood supply, financial performance of the entity and the management of the voluntary donor program. The blood bank program’s purpose is to help to deliver remarkable care to pets through ensuring the adequate supply of quality blood products to our hospitals in the most sustainable way possible.
In this role, you will:
- Spend 2 days per week devoted to the job of developing blood banking within BluePearl. Additional days will be added as the size of the blood bank program increases.
- Coordinate the acquisition of blood by local blood banks primarily through a voluntary donor program.
- Identify and track the equipment located within all of our hospitals to gain a complete understanding of the capability of our hospitals to collect and/or process blood products.
- Ensure that the individual blood banks practice proper handling, storage and shipping of blood products.
- Provide education for hospitals in the proper collection, storage and use of blood products in clinical veterinary medicine.
- Ensure that the blood acquired is of impeccable quality that is similar to those outlined in the AABB Standards for Blood Banks and Transfusion Services.
- Accountable for the financial performance of the program and each of the blood banks individually.
- Support and coach the local blood bank coordinator, through a dotted line relationship, to supply the needs of their own hospital and others within the BluePearl network.
- Track the demand of blood products across markets with the ultimate goal of being able to accurately predict the need for blood products in the future.
- Update the Chief Medical Officer and/or the Senior Leadership Team on the progress of the blood bank program every other period through a governance meeting.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM/VMD) degree or advanced training in blood banking or hematology (i.e. B.S. in Medical Laboratory Science)
- Intimate knowledge of the operations of multi-specialty and emergency clinical veterinary practice
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to lead by example, effectively resolve conflict, motivate others, multi-task, and problem solve.
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate new ideas, new protocols, and resolve conflict when necessary.
- Our passion is pets. We offer Trupanion pet insurance and discounts to our associates for pet treatments, procedures, and food.
- We encourage you to grow with us. Our technicians are leveled by their skillset and move up in level as they gain more skills and experience. We are focused on developing our associates into leaders through talent development programs and leadership workshops. As a member of Mars Veterinary Health, our associates have endless opportunities to advance in his/her career.
- In order to transform and lead the industry through innovative quality medicine and care, we understand the importance of continuous learning. We offer annual continuing education allowance, free continuing education sessions, our own BluePearl University for training, and our clinicians have access to over 2,000 medical journals.
- We value your health and well-being as an associate by providing you with the following:
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance options.
- Annual company store allowance.
- Flexible work schedules.
- Time to reset, rewind, and reflect through our paid time off, parental leave, and floating holiday plans.
- A regional licensed social worker who can provide guidance, advice, and tips/tricks on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle while working in a fast-paced emergency and specialty care environment.
- We promote a family-like culture in our hospitals. We are all in this together. We believe in working together to lead the industry by enriching lives through remarkable care for pets.