Tax Accountant (Charlotte, NC (Hybrid) or Fully Remote)
Req Id: 4082
Tampa, FL (Hybrid), or Fully Remote (U.S. Only). We have a hybrid workplace model, which includes the option to work fully remote or occasionally in the office.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At Brighthouse Financial, we’re fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, we’re better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security.
How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
As a member of the Brighthouse tax team, this tax professional is responsible for supporting all aspects of the tax function. This tax professional should expect to have primary responsibilities in either direct or indirect tax, with secondary responsibilities in the area not covered by the primary responsibilities.
Primary Responsibilities – Indirect Tax
- Prepare indirect tax returns and related workpapers, including premium, retaliatory and municipal tax, sales and use tax, payroll and product withholding tax, and personal property tax filings
- Participate in indirect tax accounting process, including calculation/booking of interim and annual accruals
- Coordinate with third party indirect tax service providers to ensure the appropriate withholding and timely deposit of payroll and product taxes.
- Support maintenance of indirect tax reporting calendar(s)
- Support indirect tax audits (internal/external), including data gathering and analysis and drafting responses to information requests.
- Support adhoc projects, as needed
Primary Responsibilities – Direct Tax
- Prepare separate and/or consolidated federal income tax returns and related workpapers (e.g., book-tax adjustments, consolidating schedules, return to provision analyses, tax basis balance sheets, etc) for life and non-life entities. This responsibility includes support of all areas of direct tax including general corporate tax, investment tax, and tax actuarial.
- Prepare separate and/or consolidated/unitary/combined state income tax returns and related workpapers (e.g., apportionment, state modifications, etc) for life and non-life entities
- Prepare state franchise tax filings and other Secretary of State annual reports
- Prepare quarterly estimated payment calculations, year-end extension payment calculations, and related payment vouchers for federal and state income and franchise tax filings
- Prepare interim and annual US GAAP and Statutory income tax provisions in accordance with ASC 740 and SSAP 101 including, but not limited to, analysis of the effective tax rate (ETR) and estimated annual effective tax rate (EAETR), current and deferred tax liability, tax attribute carryforward schedules, deferred tax rollforwards and tax basis proofs, ASC 740-10 (previously FIN 48) reserve analysis, return to provision reconciliations, current tax payable proofs, and related journal entries
- Prepare tax disclosures for inclusion in US GAAP and Statutory financial statements, including Management’s Discussion and Analysis, income tax footnote, ETR schedule, tax rate discussion, analysis of forward-looking tax-related risks, etc.
- Support SOX requirements for interim and annual reporting
- Support federal and state income tax audits (internal/external), including data gathering and analysis and drafting responses to information requests
- Support maintenance of direct tax reporting calendar(s)
- Support adhoc projects, as needed
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- 1-3 years of indirect and/or income tax accounting and compliance experience
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks towards completion at the same time
- Masters in Tax/Accounting
- CPA or CPA-eligible
- Working proficiency with tax software (e.g. CorpTax, OneSource, TriTech Premium Pro, Taxport, other)
- Compensation: Base salary ranging from $65,000 to $80,000 plus competitive performance-based incentives determined by company and individual results
- Time Off: Minimum of 20 days of paid time off and 13 paid company holidays per full calendar year, plus paid volunteer time
- Financial Benefits: 401(k) savings plan with up to a 6% annual match and 3% annual company nondiscretionary contribution of eligible compensation, annual incentive plan, and employee stock purchase plan
- Family Focus: Up to 16 weeks of paid leave for new parents, back-up care program, dependent care flexible spending account, and adoption and surrogacy assistance
- Health and Welfare: Competitive medical, vision and dental plans, plus tax-free health savings accounts with potential company contributions up to $1,000 per family
- Wellness Programs: Wellness incentive platform, employee assistance program, financial counseling services, fitness center discounts and more
- Life & Disability Benefits: Company-paid basic life insurance and short-term disability
Job Segment: Payroll, Tax, Accounts Payable, Liability, Accounting, Finance, Insurance