Head of Finance and Business Operations
Head of Finance and Business Operations
Remote – Anywhere
Citizen is the No. 1 public safety app in the U.S., with a mission to make the world a safer place. Citizen provides 911 alerts so people can use their phones to keep themselves, and the people and places they love, safe. Citizen has notified people to evacuate burning buildings, deterred school buses from nearby terrorist attacks, and led to the rescue of kidnapped children and missing people.
Citizen’s 911 alerts are accompanied by live stories, real-time updates, and user-generated content so app users never have to wonder why there are helicopters overhead or fire engines passing by. By broadcasting from the scene of an incident, communicating with one another, and reading live updates, communities are empowered by Citizen. We act fast, break news, and give people the immediate information they need to stay safe. And we’re just getting started.
Our paid productCitizen Protectis a first-of-its-kind personal safety subscription that allows users to reach a digital guardian 24/7 for $20/mo. Subscribers have used Citizen Protect to de-escalate tense domestic situations, guide emergency response to remote hiking locations, travel safely on late-night walks and Ubers.
Already relied on by millions of people every day, Citizen will expand even further across the United States this year to keep more users safe and informed. We’re looking for hardworking, mission-driven individuals to help bring Citizen to hundreds of cities nationwide.
Citizen is backed by Sequoia Capital, 8VC, Founders Fund, Goodwater Capital, and Greycroft and has raised $100M+ in VC funding.
About the Role
The Head of Finance and Business Operations will drive our evolution from a scrappy, fast-growing tech startup to a well-oiled professional company built for scale. You’ll need to do this while maintaining the best elements of our culture: quick iteration, a bias toward action, close-knit team-oriented culture, and a passionate, mission-driven environment.
You will be accountable for the financial strategy and health of the company, building and operating our entire finance function. On day one you will prioritize the key initiatives that drive success; everything from resourcing staff, to building our multi-year forecast and fundraising strategy are under your purview.
Beyond owning all of finance, you will also influence overall business operations and strategy. This includes owning the operational cadence across the businesshelping plan, budget, and track OKRs, and resource special initiatives such as market expansion and offshore operations.
You are the one thinking about the future and how to get there.
You will manage and build a team to own and deliver on the following:
- Establish Citizen’s finance function, strategy, and operation.
- Financial planning: Own our financial model and maintain visibility into cash runway and performance against plan. Deliver the monthly, quarterly and annual Growth forecast leveraging cross-functional partnerships.
- Budgeting: Help develop the strategic plan and help translate it into a financial operating plan, allocating headcount and spend budgets to each department.
- Analysis and Reporting: Partner with Data Science and other functions to generate monthly and quarterly performance and forecast reviews, board meeting and investor presentations, and other financial review presentations.
- Understand user engagement metrics and the implications via an ongoing partnership with Marketing. Partner with Data Science team on ROI and CAC/LTV analyses, as needed
- Accounting: Manage monthly accounting close with outsourced accountants.
- Capital markets and fundraising: Work with the CEO and CBO on future fundraises.
- Financial operations – oversee Payroll, Accounts Payable, and Equity functions, coordinate with external providers on Tax.
- Upgrade existing processes and controls and establish those we may currently lack.
- Business Operations
- Strategy and planning: Drive annual and quarterly strategic planning for the business, aligning executives on goals, targets, and KPIs. Help manage the OKR process, syncing with division heads and initiative owners on a regular basis.
- Business partnering: Become a trusted business partner to ensure departments and leaders are set up for success by driving accountability with metrics and analytical support
- Expansion and City Management: Work with our expansion and city operations teams to ensure Citizen is entering the correct markets, and optimizing current markets.
- Internal strategy: Find ways to drive efficiencies across the entire organization, through team building, vendor management, and org structuring.
- Key Initial Projects may include
- Conceptualize and implement additional ways to forecast growth
- Improve our Growth forecast accuracy by triangulating different types of forecasting and engaging different cross functional business partners
- Partner cross functionally to generate and maintain long range plan
- Roll out and improve KPI reporting monthly and weekly snapshots
- Leadership & Culture
- Hire top-quality people to ensure the appropriate support across each function.
- Build a culture of accountability, support, and ownership.
- In partnership with our other executives, you will be responsible for building a positive, highly engaged, high performance, and execution-oriented culture.
- Drive efficiency in our operations and establish appropriate controls in our business without compromising speed.
- Analyze complex scaling challenges, synthesize findings, and build frameworks for company-wide strategic decisions related to all functions.
- This is a dynamic environment and many unique things will come up. You will be a point of escalation, deciding how to best approach ad hoc or unpredictable items.
- Bachelor’s degree in Math, Economics, Finance, Business or other related field. MBA preferred
- 12-15+ years work experience in a relevant field with demonstrated financial acumen and a track record of leveraging data for business impact. Experience in building and scaling FP&A or Strategic Finance teams at high-growth technology company preferred
- 5+ years operational and management experience ideally scaling a high-growth tech company with a focus on Operations, Strategy, Product, Finance, People, or related areas
- 3+ years experience at a top-tier Finance, Consulting, or Private Equity firm
- Data-driven decision-making process
- Prior experience working in Growth for a large consumer-facing subscription business a plus
- Deep understanding of subscription economics
- Highly proficient in advanced Excel with strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of SQL a plus
- Ability to use data to identify and quantify opportunities for growth or profitability improvement
- Polished communication skills and comfort working with internal stakeholders, including senior leadership
- A self-starter with a positive attitude and ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, paid time off, company holidays, stock option plan, commuter benefits, and various wellness perks.
Citizen is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.