Head of DevOps
Who we are
Arachnys is a tech firm that provides frictionless KYC & AML. We use intelligent data to onboard and monitor any business, fast. We have a wide range of clients from small businesses to global tier one banks. Our mission is to create a world where everyone can have confidence in the people they do business with. We are backed by our parent company, AML RightSource, a leading AML/BSA professional services firm providing financial crime compliance solutions.
What you’ll be doing
As our Head of DevOps you will responsible for the team that maintains the platform that runs all Arachnys services. You job will be to ensure it’s secure, scalable, maintainable and cost-efficient combined with the management of a senior, highly skilled team. In addition to this core responsibility the team also provide consultancy to product-aligned development teams to assist with pipelines/infrastructure-as-code, performance troubleshooting as well as centrally defining best practices to ensure consistency and standards between projects.
In this role you’ll be expected to contribute to design/architecture decisions and defining best practices - being mindful of and able to carefully articulate the trade-offs and understand implications of decisions and how these map to current priorities. You’ll be able to draw on previous hard won experience to help deliver change safely as well as work on initiatives to simplify and manage complexity. This role reports directly to our CTO.
We are looking for an established manager so previous experience in a lead or head of role within Engineering or DevOps. This is a player-manager role, the rest of the team is multi-disciplined and are looking for candidates that can demonstrate a strong background in cloud administration (ideally AWS) and IaC (ideally terraform) and one or more of the following -
- Kubernetes - Running production workloads on hosted clusters (e.g. EKS)
- CI/CD - Experience of pipeline administration and best practices for deploying to production.
- SRE - Experience of reliability engineering for cloud based workloads. You’ll have worked on observability tooling and have solid fundamentals with regards to systems and database performance, troubleshooting, TCP/IP, DNS + TLS.
- Security - Experience of working in alignment with common security frameworks/standards e.g. CIS20, PCI-DSS, ISO27001. This might include vulnerability management , continuous compliance monitoring, rbac/iam, secrets management, secure build baselines etc..
The Arachnys Platform is a set of multitenant SaaS applications deployed on AWS.
Our backend is based on Python web services, backed by PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, and a number of AWS-specific services. Our frontend stack is based around React, TypeScript and Jest; in addition to the web client, we also have a Chrome extension. Operationally, we deploy Docker containers to Kubernetes, running on AWS infrastructure managed by Terraform.
We embrace new technologies and ways of doing things, but we do so deliberately, as a team, and weigh the real problems they solve against the complexity they introduce.
- £500 budget for home-office equipment (we have an excellent remote-first working setup).
- Bonus.ly - Our in-house micro-rewards scheme redeemable for haircuts, spotify memberships, games consoles and much more.
- Generous parental leave.
- A diverse and growing remote social culture that already includes gaming (board and video) and book club, as well as daily social calls and weekly coffee buddies.
- A fitness program that includes optional yoga, pilates, and HIIT classes (even under lockdown) as well as subsidised gym membership and a cycle to work scheme.
- Career progression - Arachnys is a growth-stage company and there are plenty of opportunities to work across different parts of the stack and progress in your career.
- Amazing colleagues - everyone at Arachnys cares passionately about what they do and our teams are filled with friendly, smart and highly collaborative individuals.
We are firmly committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace in which all employees are valued, respected, safe, supported, and listened to without judgement or prejudice. These principles apply to all, regardless of race or ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, mental or physical ability, religion, appearance, political beliefs, educational background, class, and position or tenure within the company. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are central to the direction we want our organisation to take, and are considered across all aspects of our business.
Location (COVID-19 statement)
Arachnys is a remote-first organisation, meaning that we work remotely but come together for collaborative on-sites and socials a handful of times a year (once it's safe to do so). We have found that candidates within 1-2 time zones of the UK work best with our current working practices. We provide all the technology and equipment our team needs to work productively remotely as well as all travel costs if we do ask them to come to a London onsite.
Closing date for applications: 5th April 2021