- USA Only
Remote/Home-based, preferably in the United States(to begin no later than February 2022)
The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to over 30 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other reports and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, Europe, and other African countries. Many of our projects are carried out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
About the Grant Accountantposition
We are recruiting a full-time position based remotely (40 hours/week). The Grant Accountant will report to Aquaya’s Finance Manager. Aquaya was recently awarded a five-year cooperative agreement by USAID and serves as the prime awardee, leading a consortium of six partner organizations. This position will primarily work on this project as well as Aquaya’s other U.S. Federal awards and subawards. The Grant Accountant will provide a crucial link between the technical and finance functions within the project to ensure that Uniform Guidance, as well as internal and project rules and policies, are followed in all aspects of program implementation.
Role and Responsibilities
- Post-award grant compliance including ensuring costs are within budgets and allowable.
- Ensures grant accounting records and supporting documentation are maintained in good order.
- Monitors internal monthly project reports to ensure compliance with U.S. Federal guidelines.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly funder financial reports on a timely manner.
- Manage financial audits by grant funders.
- Assists in the completion of all aspects of the annual Single Audit report.
- Maintains knowledge of current U.S. Federal guidance and issues related to grants and audits of non-profit organizations.
- Ensures high quality and efficient service to the project program staff director(s).
- Adheres to Aquaya policies and procedures and safeguards Aquaya assets.
- Develop the U.S. Federal grant compliance capacity of all relevant staff and sub-awardees, providing training and policy guidance as needed.
- Monitor project budget to actual expenditures and report issues encountered to the Finance Manager.
- Resolve external issues/problems related to grants administration in a timely manner.
- Work with the Finance Manager to ensure the accurate tracking and recording of award expenditures and financial reports.
Criteria for the Program Officer position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or a related field.
- At least three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, auditing, finance, or business management with a recognized organization.
- Advanced knowledge of U.S. government policies, procedures, and reporting requirements for U.S. Federal awards, including Uniform Guidance, [2 CFR Sec. 200].
- Knowledge and understanding of accounting principles pertaining to awards.
- Experience in the fiscal management of prime awards (grants or cooperative agreements) from U.S. Federal government agencies.
- Excellent computer skills and facility with using MS Excel.
- Excellent math skills.
- Fluency in English.
We are also looking for the following skills and attributes:
- Demonstrated experience coordinating and collaborating with various stakeholders.
- Experience fulfilling subrecipient monitoring requirements under Uniform Guidance.
- Previous work experience working with staff from other countries.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position, with an initial 3-month probationary period. Aquaya offers competitive wages that are commensurate with experience.
To apfor theGrant Accountant
Please submit your resume via e-mail to email@example.com along with a thoughtful cover letter. The deadline for submission is January 31, 2022 but may be filled sooner. There will be an additional screening survey and activity once your resume is received.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in Aquaya’s mission and activities. Please also tell us why your skills, background, and accomplishments make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting your experience.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your e-mail subject line, please specify “Grant Accountant 2022”. No phone calls, please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.