Software Engineer- SUSE Manager Engineer
SUSE is an open source pioneer and market leader with a fast paced, exciting environment at the leading edge of Enterprise Linux, Data Center Management and Cloud Solutions. Our Engineering & Innovation group is looking for a Software Engineer with a focus on configuration management systems and deployment automation to join an international team of developers at the SUSE Manager product team. SUSE Manager is an open source solution for managing software defined infrastructures at scale, from bare-metal Linux systems to containers and Kubernetes clusters.
In this role you will ship code for SUSE Manager, a web-based systems management solution used by hundreds of companies across the world. We expect you to:
- Be a great person to work with: promote teamwork and value mentoring (giving and receiving).
- Drive the future of our codebase, working with upstream project communities and influencing design and implementation decisions.
- Work with users to identify problems, turn them into good reports, track progress and provide actual solutions and feedback to the users.
- Be productive while keeping a focus on maintaining high quality standards.
We look for passionate engineers who are motivated to make an impact for their team and our customers. The ideal candidate will have past experience working as a Software Engineer in the domain of configuration management or deployment automation systems:
- Solid software engineering skills regarding algorithms, programming paradigms and distributed systems.
- Very good knowledge of the Java programming language, including the corresponding ecosystem and best practices.
- Familiarity with configuration management systems and best practices, ideally Salt or Ansible.
- Experience with designing and implementing application back-ends and scalable services.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art testing tools and practices as well as the ability to debug complex problems.
- Very good understanding of the Linux operating system and awareness of differences between distributions.
- Experience with Linux packaging.
- Experience with deployment automation and infrastructure management frameworks is a plus (Cobbler or Terraform).
- Previous participation in and contributions to open source communities is a plus.
- Verbal and written proficiency in English language.