Software Engineer - Commercial Platform
- North America
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote- first team.
You will join our development team working on the Commercial Platform that powers Octopus as a company.
The commercial team is a fast-paced, highly iterative group focussed on delivering the features and tooling we need to help our business succeed. We are integral to the commercial success of Octopus, and our areas of responsibility require ever-evolving measurement and refinement. Our customers include internal teams, customers who purchase licenses, and customers managing their Octopus cloud instances.
We work in a close-knit relationship with the security and operations experts at Octopus to ensure our systems are secure and reliable. We constantly ship Minimum Viable Product (MVPs) and then polish and iterate on them.
In this team, your efforts will have a visible and significant impact on the growth of Octopus as a world-class software product and software company. A large portion of the Octopus business relies on us to do their job well. Our team's efforts facilitate Octopus’ growth and performance in a competitive market. If you like to capture data to drive decisions and work with other passionate people to improve a wide variety of systems inside a world-class software company this team is for you.
Discover what it's like working at Octopus. Read our employee handbook and our people repository to discover what it's like working at Octopus. We shape, bet, and build using a method inspired by Shape Up. We work in 8-week cycles, focusing on directed work for 6-weeks, and "sharpening the saw" with undirected work for 2-weeks at the end of each cycle. We remove unnecessary obstacles so you can work directly with customers. Our teams are software tradespeople who care about doing things right the first time. You will probably be surprised at how collaboratively we work both inside and across our teams, even though our teams work remotely. We take pride in our hard-earned, friendly, consensus-building, and ever- improving remote-first culture.
Working at Octopus may be different from any other job you’ve had before. In many companies, software engineers are treated as an expense to reduce or a revenue stream to increase. In contrast, Octopus is a product company built from the ground up by engineers, for engineers. At Octopus your effort will be appreciated because you are adding value to our products, which are our assets. Also, our customers are people just like us. This makes it easy to relate to our customers and understand what they care about most.
Octopus is not a startup. We do not need venture capital, we have been a sustainably profitable business from day one. We care about building a sustainable company and we do this by helping customers succeed, leaving increased revenue as a happy byproduct.
A typical day might include
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
You will be a great fit for this role if
- You are an experienced individual contributor or leader in your current job.
- You have experience and or interest in Azure
- You have experience with C# and ASP.NET
- You like to measure and analyse to make data driven decisions.
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like dependency, extensibility, and compatibility; and perhaps you are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
You will enjoy this role if
- You are a software consultant or contractor looking to invest your effort into a successful and lasting product.
- You are a software team lead looking for a better balance of coding and leadership. You are a valuable individual contributor looking to expand your horizons with a world-class software company.
- You like a balance of freedom and responsibility, being treated as an adult.
- You want to do the best work of your life with other like-minded people.
- You enthusiastically accept radically candid feedback, feedback that is thoughtful, timely, and directly actionable, and offer the same benefit to others.
- You like working with great tools like the latest versions of C#, .NET, TypeScript, and React, in the development environment of your choice.
- You enjoy doing things the right way from the very beginning knowing you are working on a valuable asset.
We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you. If you look like a good fit, then we will be in touch to arrange a Zoom chat with one of our senior engineers.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we now have over 25,000 happy customers around the world, and we employ 70+ wonderful people.
We're a bootstrapped, profitable, growing business. We're not VC-funded, and our goal is to build a company that will last forever while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and the UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home most of the week, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.