Senior Backend Engineer - Routing and Navigation
Millions of people experience real-life adventures with our apps. We help people all over the world discover the best hiking and biking routes, empowering our users to explore more of the great outdoors. And we’re good at it: Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times—and, with more than 16 million users and 100,000 five-star reviews - komoot is on its way to becoming one of the most popular cycling and hiking platforms.
Join our fully remote team of 70 people and change the way people explore!
About the role
As komoot’s newest backend engineer you’ll join a highly-motivated and agile team dedicated to building the world’s best routing engine for outdoor sports.
You’ll rise to the challenge of guiding outdoor lovers along suitable, safe, and beautiful paths, rather than along the quickest route, as usual.
You’ll take full ownership in devising and implementing technical long-term roadmaps including validation metrics, continuous improvements, and integration of additional data sources, such as location data from our users.
We're focused on impact, which is why we love finding smart, simple solutions to complex problems by embracing modern technologies to solve our toughest challenges.
Ready for your next adventure?
What you will do
- Work closely with a fellow routing expert and a product manager on world-leading routing for cyclists, hikers, mountain bikers and other outdoor enthusiasts.
- Develop, discuss and pursue road maps for the coming years to establish strong routing quality metrics and enable continuous routing improvements.
- Fine tune our routing for specific countries as we're growing fast internationally
- Leverage data science and machine learning to derive sophisticated routing weights.
- Integrate additional data sources and user data to enrich and extend the routing graph.
- Ensure high availability and performance of our routing APIs in production.
- Help to devise, implement and maintain robust data pipelines using AWS.
Why you will love it
- Your work will have a direct impact on millions of users, helping them to have a great and safe outdoor adventure.
- You’ll work on the full cycle of backend development, including working out concepts, implementing, testing, deployment and monitoring.
- You'll work on tough technical challenges that will push your technical skills and creative problem-solving.
- Routing is komoot’s core technology so your achievements will be crucial for komoot’s world-wide success.
- We are a tech company with little organisational overhead, focusing on ownership and responsibility instead of micro management and hierarchies.
- This is a remote role and we are a remote team. You are free to work from anywhere that lies between the time zones UTC-1 and UTC+3. Beach? The mountains? Or a co-working space (covered by us)?
- You’ll become part of a diverse, international team and you’ll travel with us (when safe) for team gatherings in amazing locations several times a year. Check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote. (https://bit.ly/39xtIrn)
You will be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible and keen to learn and improve
- Are a great communicator in a diverse team
- Have 3+ years of professional experience with routing and GIS technologies
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in a statically typed language (e.g. Java/C++ or Rust)
- Have a passion for optimizing and fine tuning solutions with a systematic approach
- Bonus: knowledge of OpenStreetMap
- Bonus: knowledge of AWS/Google Cloud/Azure
Sound like you?
We want to hear from you! Please send us the following:
- Your CV in English highlighting your most relevant experience.
- A cover letter explaining who you are and why you would like to work with us.
- Examples of your work (e.g. GitHub, conference talks, Slideshare, etc.)
- Feel free to send us something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account, or your OpenStreetMap profile if you have one.