Principal Engineer - Benefex - £90k - Remote
Who are Benefex?
Benefex are leading the way for Employee Wellbeing. They believe no one comes to work to do a bad job or be actively disengaged, and that technology is instrumental in providing an excellent employee experience. They’ve built an all-in-one platform called OneHub that brings together employee benefits software, reward and recognition tech, and workplace communications, so your employees have everything they need for work in one place.
Benefex believe that everyone deserves an exceptional experience at work, every day. Their workplace technology makes this happen.
Tech Stack :
- Frontend & Mobile: React.js, ES6, HTML, CSS, iOS, Swift 5.
- Backend: REST API’s, Go, Java 8, Spring Boot, Tomcat, Mongo, Atlas.
- Architecture: Microservices, Distributed Systems, Event Driven, CQRS.
- Platform/QA: Google Cloud, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Circle CI, Istio, Postman, Cypress.
What will you be tasked with?
You’ll have a broad role cutting across technical strategy, architecture, coding, testing and deployment. You’ll report to the VP of Engineering and be tasked with improving the ways of working and productivity across the squads.
This will include:
- Reviewing the end-to-end technical approach and strategy: architecture, codebase, testing, platform. Identify bottlenecks, improving process and tooling and mentoring the engineers.
- Supporting the Chapter Leads in technical decision making and helping to facilitate the Chapter meetings.
- Driving the adoption of new technologies and tools. Last year, the backend moved from Java to Go. You’d help with the adoption of Go and upskilling some of the Engineers from a Java background.
- Taking ownership of complex features or key technical projects. I.e. last year Okta was implemented. If you were there you would have handled the supplier relationships, built POC’s and documentation, and coached the engineers on using Okta.
- Challenging and facilitating conversations across the squads on best ways of working.
- Rotating around squad sprints to identify bottlenecks and guide engineers towards the best solution.
What experience/skills Benefex would like to see:
- Strong knowledge of Agile and working in a modern product environment.
Tech agnostic, you enjoy picking up and working with different technologies and tools. You are not tied to one stack.
- You will need to be comfortable coding using Golang, Java and Spring Boot.
- You are still hands-on and happy to get your hands dirty when needed. You’ll be tasked with taking on the most complex features and technical projects.
- You are confident designing microservice architecture and building distributed systems, and coaching others.
- You enjoy mentoring other engineers and helping them thrive.
- You enjoy working in a broad capacity, across multiple squads and products. Identify blockers, upskilling team members and generally improving productivity.
- You feel comfortable working with the CTO and engineering leaders on the product and technical strategy.
- You are happy working with non-technical stakeholders and suppliers.
- Salary: £75-90,000
- Fully remote working
- Benefits including 25 days holiday (plus your birthday off!)
- £800 annual learning budget for training. Benefex will pay for exams, travel and accommodation for events separately.
- If you ever want to work in the office it’s in the centre of Southampton, a five minute walk from the train station and a car park just opposite
- Private healthcare
- 75% GIP, Healthcare cash plan, EAP Access, Virtual GP access, life assurance x 4, Pension and access to the flexible benefits platform
Benefex understand the need to have a fast and efficient process, the below will all be completed within two weeks.
- Phone Interview with the VPE. 30-45 min.
- Second Technical Interview. VPE and Backend Lead Engineer. 60 minutes
- Final Interview: CTO and 1 other. 60 min.