Engineering Manager - Ruby on Rails
- North America
We’re a small, collaborative team focused on building awesome software and providing amazing customer service for our customers and are looking for an Engineering Manager to help shape our growing engineering team. Reporting to the CTO, you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations, planning, and management of our development team, in addition to contributing code.
Scout APM is application performance monitoring that streamlines troubleshooting by helping developers find and fix performance issues before customers ever see them. With real-time alerting, a developer-centric UI, and proactive insights, Scout APM helps development teams spend less time debugging and more time building with tracing logic that ties bottlenecks directly to source code.
Scout helps to quickly identify, prioritize, and resolve performance problems – memory bloat, N+1 queries, slow database queries, and more – with an agent that instruments the dependencies you developers need at a fraction of the overhead.
Scout APM is built for developers, by developers, and monitors Ruby, PHP, Python, Node.js, and Elixir applications.
You are a senior developer that has a successful track record leading engineering teams building large Rails applications in cloud environments (AWS preferred). You’re well experienced in running Agile development processes and managing multiple project development efforts in progress simultaneously. You continue to enjoy writing code in addition to conducting code reviews and mentoring others. You want to help shape our culture and development processes in order to foster a positive and high performing engineering organization.
- 2+ years of engineering management experience with a proven ability to build high performing teams and lead complex technical initiatives
- 4+ Years as a Software Developer on medium to large Ruby on Rails applications
- 5+ years experience leading teams developing SaaS products running in a public cloud (AWS preferred)
- Understands and has practiced agile software development and management
- Has had exposure to multiple languages and frameworks as either an engineer or manager
- Work with the CTO to build the technical development roadmap and priorities
- Collaborate with Development, Sales, and Success teams to prioritize, scope and plan business milestones.
- Create technical rollout plans to reach business milestones.
- Recruit, train, mentor and manage a talented team of engineers
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Development team
- Run weekly sprint plannings
- Conduct code reviews
- Assist with the design, deployment, and operation of our AWS cloud infrastructure
- Foster and cultivate a positive, high-performing engineering culture
- Unlimited, responsible PTO policy
- Health, dental, vision insurance with HSA, as applicable
- Parental leave
- Dependent care FSA accounts
- Commuter benefits