Director of Marketing
- USA Only
Director of Marketing
Wondery is the largest independent podcast publisher in the world, known for character-driven, binge-worthy stories including “Dirty John,” “Dr. Death,” “The Shrink Next Door,” and “Business Wars.” Wondery is behind 8 of the Top 20 New Shows of 2019 according to Podtrac, with “The Shrink Next Door” landing at the #1 new show of 2019. Twenty-six of Wondery’s shows have hit #1 on Apple Podcasts. Sixteen of them have been, or are in the process of being, adapted for scripted television. Wondery has gained critical acclaim and commercial success for its immersive approach to sonic, emotionally-immersive storytelling which helps listeners to “feel the story
As we expand our marketing department, we are looking for a Director of Marketing to focus on show specific campaigns. The ideal candidate will have a combination of experience and personality that will lead them to success in a fast-paced, results-driven environment built around a strong culture, with the values of wonder, care, diversity, character, drive and fun at our core.
You must be an avid podcast listener and have previous podcasting experience. Wondery headquarters are in Los Angeles, CA however this position is open to candidates in other US markets.
WONDERY is looking for a Director of Marketing to join our rapidly growing marketing and communications team. Reporting to the VP of Marketing, you will be responsible for managing campaign marketing strategy, planning, creative, execution and analysis for show campaigns.
The role is a critical member of the marketing team and will lead a team of 3 direct reports and managed freelancers across all aspects of marketing, including strategy, branding and messaging, and more.
This role requires staying abreast of industry trends, the latest audio and digital marketing strategies and developing & managing strategic relationships with our marketing, platform and channel partners.
You will be responsible for designing and analyzing marketing tests aimed at gaining insights, as well as developing strategic and tactical points-of-view that can be translated to marketing & branding strategies that helps achieve company goals.
The marketing team’s work directly impacts the success of each of our shows and the company’s bottom line. We are looking for a self-motivated, creative, highly analytical and strategic thinker to lead a team dedicated to growing our business. They will actively participate in strategic discussions with fellow team members and work cross-functionally with Content Development, Content Acquisition / Partnerships, Sales, Data/Research, Legal, and Finance teams to add value to the business.
- Develop and execute campaign strategy and manage all tactical executions including media-buying such as audio (podcasts, Radio), PR, digital (social, email, web, mobile) and traditional (TV, OOH, Print).
- Work closely with internal team members to strategically plan promotional priorities and design content presentations for platform partners (Apple, Spotify, Amazon, etc) to maximize promotion for our shows
- Design marketing plans and manage budget for all new show launches and ongoing shows in order to meet campaign goals and related success metrics, including growth in monthly downloads and unique listeners.
- Support the growth and success of Wondery+ subscription service with show launches.
- Closely monitor and analyze key performance indicators, including cost per listen, conversion rates, unique listeners, downloads and audience metrics per show and campaign
- Stay abreast of industry news, emerging trends, competitive landscape & offerings, audio platforms, podcast landscape as well as top & emerging shows in all categories.
- Candidate will have 7-10 years of marketing experience, with at least 3 years specifically in podcasting.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience managing a team of direct reports and be an inspiring leader
- Expertise in building successful consumer marketing campaigns.
- A mastery of verbal and written communication as well as presentation skills to lead meetings, manage workflow and give direction to the team
- A selfless, proactive and collaborative marketing professional who will naturally go beyond roles and titles to get great work done
- Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to innovate
- Must be accountable and willing to learn from mistakes
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-moving environment with shifting priorities, managing 10+ projects simultaneously while reacting quickly, dynamically, and intelligently
- A strong understanding of audio marketing (midroll, episode drops), digital advertising (mobile, paid social, display) and traditional (OOH, TV, press) channels
- Demonstrated understanding of audio apps and a willingness to learn audio-specific performance tracking
- Ability to read a P&L, manage a marketing budget and work in MS excel
- Undergraduate degree required, MBA is a plus
Competitive pay commensurate with experience
Wondery is an equal employment opportunity. We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or marital status. Wondery strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.