Head of Special Projects
Head of Special Projects
Special Projects / Remote / Operations / Full-Time
Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking scrappy generalist to take on special projects at On Deck. In doing so, we’ll empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. Details below!
- Opportunity Multiplies. As we continue to grow and launch new products, more opportunities continue to pop up. We have lots of projects we want to see in the world, with many of them being very obvious business opportunities for us.
- Our only constraint is finding an all-star to tackle them. That’s where you come in.
- We need a scrappy ambitious generalist who can take projects from 0-1.
- They need to be able to both build (with code or no-code) and execute (GTM strategy/non-technical side).
- This is an incredibly exciting role, with lots of opportunities to learn, get your hands dirty, take on lots of responsibility from day 1, and bring something from a mere concept into a full-fledged profitable business unit.
- The team is growing extremely fast, so you’ll get an inside seat at a company in rapid scaling mode.
- You’ll report directly to Erik Torenberg, and incubate products to help founders and fellows across communities.
- If you love hacking, incubating, and building teams you will love this role
Responsibilities / What you’ll do
- Work closely with Erik Torenberg and On Deck leadership to spearhead special projects – ranging from strategic initiatives, to one-off apps, to new product launches, etc.
- Be a jack-of-all-trades for the projects you own: handle everything from idea validation, to design, to strategy, product management, development (code/no-code), growth/BD, operations, launch, marketing, etc.
- You’ll be a true generalist, doing whatever it takes to successfully go 0 to 1 on each project to get it off the ground.
- Work cross-functionally with the On Deck team and relevant stakeholders to bring projects to life.
- Understand business levers to analyze and prioritize highest impact proposed projects, and prepare business case.
- Work within our no-code stack to set up automations, infrastructure, web/mobile apps, landing pages, etc.
- Analyze proposed projects, quantify impact as projected on business, and prepare business case.
- Conduct research on different strategic initiatives. Design and launch new experimental offerings.
Requirements / Who you are
- Has strong experience building MVPs.
- Has ability to build products themselves (either with code/engineering, or no-code tools)
- Extremely versatile skill set – utility player who can work across a wide variety of project scopes.
- Strong intuition on product vision, design, and go-to-market strategy.
- Comfortable in ambiguity, where you’ll often need to write the playbook, rather than follow an existing one. Helpful if have experience taking projects from 0 to 1.
- High output, execution, and hustle – an ability to own all operations, and an eagerness to dive into the nitty-gritty
- Interest in learning and working in our no-code infrastructure
- Thrives in a fast-paced, often scrappy, sometimes chaotic environment
- Has a strong “spirit of service”, where you think first how you can give, rather than take, and always seeking opportunities to support the team and Fellows to the max of your ability
- Meticulously detail-oriented and organized – able to juggle many priorities while not dropping any balls
What might excite you about us:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You’ll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define what our operations infrastructure looks like going forward.
- We’re backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Marc Andreessen, Keith Rabois, Chris Dixon, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our fundraise and 50-year vision here.)
Why you might not be excited about us:
- We’re small (~70 people in the company now), so if you like more established companies, this role isn’t for you. You’ll help create our company’s culture.
- We’re an early stage startup. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-startup, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.
This role comes with a competitive salary, stock options, you can take any PTO you need, anytime you need, and employee benefits including generous healthcare.
Our team works remotely, but you will have to be available to work on U.S-friendly hours, which may be difficult from Europe or Asia.
You would start as soon as possible